12826847

I recently sold my house and 3 months prior to leaving the

Customer Question

I recently sold my house and 3 months prior to leaving the meter reader found that the meter did not give a reading. 1 week prior to leaving the property a new meter was fitted and I gave the power company the reading on the new meter which was 3. The company have sent me bills using estimated usage details that I dispute. Despite discussing this at length with their customer service department I am now receiving demands with threats of using debt collectors and court proceedings. I have a "signed for" letter to the company which they have ignored. Today I received a "Telemessage" containing demands for payment and further threats. How do I deal with this?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

How much do you owe please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

£293.01

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

On what basis do you dispute it?

Are they using same readings as same period last year?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not know and they have not given any explanations.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
On what basis are you disputing it?