29905560

Can you verify the validity (if a scam company or not) of a

Customer Question

Can you verify the validity (if a scam company or not) of a company called; http://www.iacinternational.org/
Investment Assurance Company, they claim to be acting on behalf of personnel who have lost money in online scams namely HYIPs or Ponzi schemes.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

I will make some enquiries and get back to you shortly

JACUSTOMER-q4hkv5vd- :

Thank you, if you need any further information please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Ben Jones :

Just to check - what is your involvement with them and briefly, what has happened so far?

JACUSTOMER-q4hkv5vd- :

They contacted me with regard to recovering money from Ponzi scheme, namely Felmina Alliance, said that they had done a paper trail and found and frozen $94m in a Philipine bank. Said my share would be $141K, they initially requested $14k to pay the Philipine Gov and then would send cheque, I said no way, now they have come back this morning and said not to worry about the $14K they have worked something out. Person who has phoned me is a Mark Burns, Officer of Investigations. Have got emails with attachments to fill in and return, bank details etc.

Ben Jones :

Here is what I have found about them:

• Their website was created in July 2012 and is registered to an anonymous person, which is unusual if this was a legitimate company and they would usually have nothing to hide. This also contradicts their claims that they were created in 1970 - whilst a website would not have been created that far back, waiting until 2012 in this day and age is very unusual
  • They claim to be operating in Chicago, IL, however I have checked with the Secretary of State and there is no such corporation registered to operate there
  • The business is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau, which oversees all businesses in the US and one would expect them to be accredited after so many years in operation
  • A direct warning about them has appeared on the website of the Anti-Money Laundering Council of the Philippines: http://www.amlc.gov.ph/
  • Together with the request for money they initially made, all points towards a scam and I would certainly not advise that you take this any further with them
JACUSTOMER-q4hkv5vd- :

Thnaks Ben

JACUSTOMER-q4hkv5vd- :

Thanks Ben, just been talking to a colleague who is in the same boat as me, they have all his bank details, there is nothing they can do with them, they can't access his account. I did see the AMLC site yesterday and noted the reference of a fake document associated with the company. If they no longer want any money upfront what can they do with our bank details and NI number?

Ben Jones :

Taking money out of your account will be difficult but they can be used in identity theft, for example by using them to create a fake personality, although I would presume their main plan was to get money from you voluntarily at the outset

JACUSTOMER-q4hkv5vd- :

FROM: "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]>
> TO: Bill Kellaway <[email protected]>
> SENT: Tuesday, 8 October 2013, 14:24
> SUBJECT: Re: Preliminary Findings
>
> Mr. Bill Kellaway,
>
> Greetings!
>
> First of all I would like to congratulate you on behalf of our office
> for the Claim that has been awarded to you. I am now attaching to this
> E-mail the following documents:
>
> 1. Disbursement Schedule - kindly inform us which batch you would like
> to include yourself in so that we can coordinate and organize
> everything as well as secure your position in the particular batch.
>
> 2. Claimant Banking Details - You need to write down the details of
> the bank account where you want your funds to be transferred to.
> Kindly submit this on or before October 10, 2013.
>
> Now, The first seven (7) pages is the Stipulated Final Judgment and
> Permanent Injunction, it is basically a summary of what happened
> throughout the investigation of the case as well as the findings and
> decision that has been ruled upon by the Judge. The Notice of Pendency
> and Proposed Settlement Agreement follows. It states the conditions of
> releasing the defendants. To make it simple, it states that once you
> agreed to receive the Claim that is entitled to you ($141,244.00) you
> will no longer be able to file another case for the purpose of getting
> a Claim since the defendants have already returned what is rightfully
> yours. It also states the proposed settlement agreement that was
> submitted and approved including the dates. Also, the terms of the
> release is stated there.
>
> The last three (3) pages are the Proof of Claim and Release Form which
> is what you need to secure. You need to fill it up and sign it in
> order for us to secure your Claim. There is a section there asking you
> to send us documents to support your Claim, you no longer need to go
> through that inconvenience since we already have your documents on
> file. All you need to do is accomplish the said forms. If you will
> notice on the Stipulated Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction, on
> page 5-7 there is a breakdown of fees which needs to be settled. As
> discussed to you before, during the course of the investigation we
> have discovered a bank account in the Philippines which belongs to the
> Defendants, we were able to issue the paperwork in order to freeze the
> account and later on distribute the funds through a Binding
> Arbitration Agreement. Technocash Limited turned out to be under the
> same management that of Felmina Alliance Inc. which is the reason why
> you did not get any amount of refund from them since that is their
> intention. The Defendants were caught red handed that is why they were
> forced to surrender the money in the account which was distributed as
> refunds and substantial damages Claims. In your Case you will be
> receiving a total of ($141,244.00). The legal fees that you will be
> settling is for the Philippine Government, ($14,772.00) it covers all
> taxes due to the Philippines as well as litigation fees, mediation
> fees and all fees incurred for the lifting of the freeze on the
> account. This fee was calculated based on the amount each Plaintiff
> (victim) will be receiving. Please be advised that this amount cannot
> be deducted from your Claim (proceeds that you will be receiving)
> since the Court has no jurisdiction or authority to revise the laws of
> the Philippine Government. We do have a representative in the
> Philippines who is supervising everything so even if you are dealing
> directly with the Philippines we will still be assisting you until
> successful release of your funds has been achieved. As soon as we have
> received the accomplished Claim Form on your end and as soon as you
> have informed us which batch you would like to include yourself in, I
> will send you the instructions on how to settle the legal fees for the
> Philippine Government.
>
> Please send us also your banking details where you want your claims to
> be transferred. Kindly affix your signature on the paper also.
>
> We shall await your reply. Thank you and have a nice day.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Mark Burns
> Officer of Investigations
> INVESTMENT ASSURANCE CORPORATION
> [email protected]
> www.iacinternational.org
> Hotline: 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Disclaimer
> IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Securities Investor Protection Act of 1970
> (SIPA) is a complex and technical statute. The Web site of the
> INVESTMENT ASSURANCE CORPORATION provides a basic explanation of the
> Securities Investor Protection Corporation. However, it does not
> explain the SIPA statute with respect to any particular fact pattern.
> Answers to questions involving particular facts depend upon
> interpretations, administrative decisions, and court actions.

JACUSTOMER-q4hkv5vd- :

This was the letter I had from them initially, think it's already gone, I'm tending to agree with you the more I think about it, definately a scam, though it would be nice if it wasn't...

Ben Jones :

That is how people fall for this - they have lost money and see a shining light that could help them recover some opf their losses. In a time of desperation they proceed with this and sadly it eventually turns oput just to be another scam - I have seen it happen too many times

Ben Jones :

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you are unhappy for some reason with the advice - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you very much

JACUSTOMER-q4hkv5vd- :

Hi Ben,Case No. CV13-0462-JKA Document 250 Filed 10/07/2013
1 Page of 7
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA INVESTMENT ASSURANCE CORPORATION EASTERN DIVISION
Mr. William Kellaway, ) et. al., individually ) and on behalf of a class of similarly ) situated persons, ) ) Plaintiffs, ) NO. CV13-0462-JKA ) v. ) Date : October 07, 2013 ) Time: 09:00 am EST FELMINA ALLIANCE INC. et. al. ) Dept.: 501 ) Arbitrator: J. Kelley Arnold ) ) Defendant. ) ) ) ______________________________________________________________________________
ORDER GRANTING MOTION FOR ORDER GRANTING FINAL APPROVAL OF SETTLEMENT, APPROVING ATTORNEY’S FEES AND CLASS REPRESENTATIVE INCENTIVE AWARDS, AND ENTERING FINAL JUDGEMENT AS TO WILLIAM KELLAWAY. ______________________________________________________________________________
Plaintiff MR. WILLIAM KELLAWAY, along with plaintiffs-in-intervention (collectively referred to as "Plaintiffs") have moved the Court pursuant to Rule 23(e) for final approval of class action settlements, and in support thereof have presented the Court with (1) a stipulated Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction as to Defendant FELMINA ALLIANCE INC. et al. (Document # 220-2, the "Stipulated Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction"),

Case No. CV13-0462-JKA Document 250 Filed 10/07/2013
2 Page of 7
and (2) a Settlement Agreement and Stipulated Findings of Fact (Document #210-2, the "Settlement Agreement") with Defendant FELMINA ALLIANCE INC. et al., (collectively the "Settlements").1 This motion is supported by the uncontroverted facts that were presented in support of the grant of final approval (Document #242) and by recent declaration describing firm execution of the Court's approved notice plan. The original motion for Final approval was unopposed and granted.
For the Reasons stated in the open Court, and set forth in the papers filed by Plaintiffs in support of both preliminary and final approval of Settlements, the Court finds as follows:
1. The Plaintiffs and Defendants have complied with all of the requirements of Rule 23(e). In particular, the execution of the Plaintiffs' notice plan has satisfied the requirement of the Court's Final approval order that notice be directed in a reasonable manner to all class members who would be bound by the Court's approval of the Settlements.

1 Technically, there is a settlement that has been placed before the Court for approval by the Plaintiffs. This is in the form of a contractual settlement agreement with FELMINA ALLIANCE INC. et al., (Document #209-2) However since the funds for the settlements are proposed to be distributed reasonably, the Court shall be the one to divide it amongst the Defendants guided by the Stipulation and Order Regarding Division of Settlement of Funds which addresses the ultimate disposition of the settlement proceeds in light of the claims. It was necessary for this Court to approve that settlement as it presided over FELMINA ALLIANCE INC. et al., case, before it could consider before the Stipulated Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction. The term “Settlements” as used herein shall also refer to that agreement.
3 Page of 7
2. Members of the Class defined in this action and below have had reasonable opportunity to object to the Settlements. The Court has carefully considered any objections on file, and has provided an opportunity for objectors to present an argument to the Court in writing or at the Hearing. However, no papers which could be fairly be called meritorious objections compliant with the terms of the class notice were timely filed with the Court. The Settlements are unopposed. 3. A Final Approval hearing required by Rule 23(e) (1)(C) was conducted October 07, 2013, at 09:00 am, and no argument was presented in opposition to the Settlements.
4. Having considered all facts presented in Court, Defendant, FELMINA ALLIANCE INC., insolvency plea and refutation of frozen assets located in an offshore account in the Philippines (Document 212-3) leads the Court to GRANT Final Approval Plaintiffs' revised Final Plan of Distribution.
5. The Court awarded Judgment to Plaintiffs on October 7, 2010 that included a substantial damages award to three subclasses of Plaintiffs. With post-judgment interest, those damages, as of the estimated distribution date October 28, 2013 will equal $94,695,296.72 to all Plaintiffs. The said amount shall cover any and all individual refunds and damages awards.
6. The Court finds that the Notice and Claim form, a copy of which is attached hereto as Exhibit B, constitutes reasonable and the best practicable final Notice and Claim Form is approved by the Court.
7. Pursuant to Rule 23(e), the Court hereby finally approves in all respects the Stipulation and the Settlement set forth therein and finds that the Settlement is, in all respects, fair, reasonable, and adequate, and in the best interest of the Class.

4 Page of 7
Accordingly, the Court will separately enter the Stipulated Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction previously filed herein, and as to all matters not resolved by that instrument, as to the Settlement Agreement with FELMINA ALLIANCE INC. et al., Defendant, and MR. WILLIAM KELLAWAY, Plaintiff, it should be, and hereby is ORDERED that :
(a) The Court hereby grants final approval as a class action settlement to the Stipulated Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction (Document #220-2). (b) The Court hereby grants final approval as a class action settlement to the Settlement Agreement and Stipulated Findings of Fact (Document #219-2), and this Order shall constitute final judgment as to the claims against FELMINA ALLIANCE INC. et al. (c) The Court hereby awards MR. WILLIAM KELLAWAY, resident of 61 Gibbas Way Pembroke, Pembrokeshire UK, SA71JJA the amount of $ 100,561.00 (One Hundred Thousand Five Hundred Sixty One US Dollars) as a net refund for actual damages for transactions involving TECHNOCASH LIMITED. et al., and $ 40,683.00 (Forty Thousand Six Hundred Eighty Three US Dollars) as a substantial damages award as a class action settlement to the Stipulated Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction (Document #220-2). The total amount of $ 141,244.00 (One Hundred Forty One Thousand Two Hundred Forty Four US Dollars) is hereby awarded to be paid in full in favor of the Plaintiff. (d) The Court has separately ruled that Plaintiffs' Legal Fees, with respect to the rules and laws of the Republic of the Philippines’ (Rule 141) will be calculated on individual awards proportion to the amount awarded in aggregate to each subclass;
5 Page of 7
LEGAL FEES
SECTION 1. Payment of fees. – Upon the filing of the pleading or other application which initiates an action or proceeding, the fees prescribed therefore shall be paid in full.
Sec. 4. LITIGATION FEES.
(b) For filing an action or proceeding with the Court of Tax Appeals, is One Thousand Five Hundred dollars. $ 1,500.00 (d) For the certified copies of any record, judgment or entry thereof for ANY certification, is Two Hundred Fifty dollars. $ 250.00
(j) For personal service of writs, orders and decisions outside Metro Manila, is Two Thousand Five Hundred dollars. $ 2,500.00
Sec. 7. TAX VALUATION OF THE BUREAU OF INTERNAL REVENUE
(a) For filing an action or a permissive OR COMPULSORY counter claim, or money claim based on judgment, or for filing a third-party, fourth- party, etc. complaint, or a complaint-in-intervention, if the total sum claimed, INCLUSIVE OF INTERESTS, PENALTIES, SURCHARGES, DAMAGES OF ANY KIND is Four Thousand Three Hundred Fifty dollars. $ 4,350.00
6 Page of 7
Sec. 9. MEDIATION FEES.
(a) Court of Tax Appeals The Court of Tax Appeals shall collect the amount of Seven Hundred dollars ($700.00) upon the filing of a mediatable case petition, special civil action, a comment/answer to the petition or action and the appellee’s brief. The Court of Tax Appeals shall also collect the amount of One Thousand Five Hundred Twelve dollars ($1,512.00) for the appeals from the decision of a CTA Division to the CTA En Banc. (3,960.00) Three Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty dollars. TOTAL SETTLEMENT FEE: $ 14,772.00 8. The Court retains continuing and exclusive jurisdiction over all matters relating to administration, consummation, enforcement and interpretation of the Stipulation, to protect and effectuate this Final Order and Judgment. All parties are hereby deemed to have irrevocably submitted to the exclusive jurisdiction of this Court, for the purpose of any suit, action, proceeding or dispute arising out of or relating to the Stipulation or the applicability of the stipulation, and only for such purposes. Solely for purposes of such suit, action, proceeding, to the fullest extent they may effectively do so under applicable law, the Parties hereto are deemed to have irrevocably waived and agreed not to assert, by way of motion, as a defense or otherwise, any claim or objection that they are not subject to the jurisdiction of this Court, or that this Court is, in any way, an improper venue or an inconvenient forum. 9. If any class member has died, his or her claim share shall be paid to his or her heir upon the provision of an appropriate Court order or probate declaration authorizing said payment to his or her heir.
7 Page of 7

JACUSTOMER-q4hkv5vd- :

1 Page of 7

2 Page of 7

3 Page of 7

4 Page of 7
5 Page of 7
LEGAL FEES
Sec. 4. LITIGATION FEES.
6 Page of 7
Sec. 9. MEDIATION FEES.
7 Page of 7

Ben Jones :

What is your query in relation to this?

Ben Jones :

Hello do you still need help with your query?