Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

i am in the Philippines ,I have a property in UK that I may

Customer Question

i am in the Philippines ,I have a property in UK that I may need to sell can I appoint a power of attorney without having to go back to UK
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is AJ and I will assist you today.

You can certainly do this. The best person to ask will be your solicitor. You only need to sign the attorney document in front of a witness.

You will solicitor will be able to sign the sale contract for you, but the actual transfer of the contract must be done by deed. Your solicitor will only be able to sign this for your with a Power of Attorney. The Power of Attorney should just be limited to signing deeds on your behalf.

Can I be of any further assistance?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have a solicitor here in the Philippines so are you saying I have to contact a solicitor in UK ,you didn't make that very clear .

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

You will need a solicitor to act for you in the UK when selling the property. You do not necessarily need a solicitor in the Philippines as well.

As long as you can get someone independent in the Phillipines to witness the power of attorney, you can appoint a solicitor in the UK as your attorney to sell the property on your behalf. That solicitor will probably even be able to draft the power of attorney document for you.

If you contact www.lawsociety.org.uk they will be able to recommend a solicitor in the UK.

I look forward to hearing form you.

AJ