12826847

Complicated situation. Married for the 2nd time and have

Customer Question

Complicated situation.

Married for the 2nd time and have found out partner is having an affair. That in itself I can deal with. We have decided to end our marriage but have "complications" with property.

We live in his house and turned this into a B&B together last year. It is trading well and has increased the property valuation. It has been valued before set up and again recently. Whilst I personally dont want a share in previous equity, I would like recognition and reward for the work put in over the last 16 months. However, I recognise I dont work there full time (he does) and I have my own job so I would expect a proportional settlement.

I also own a property which has been, and still is, in negative equity albeit improving slowly as the market improves.

Am I in being unrealistic in the eyes of the law to try and achieve the above as a settlement?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case.

It is with pleasure to try to assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

How much is the property worth?
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and by how much has the equity increased.
What other assets are there and what income do you each have