12826847

My father has died, having made a will. My mother is named

Customer Question

My father has died, having made a will. My mother is named as sole executrix and beneficiary. My father also appointed two partners of the legal firm with whom he made his will as trustees and executors.

The family would prefer not to involve solicitors if possible and I am prepared to do whatever work is necessary. My father's estate is well under the inheritance tax threshhold, as most of the estate (property etc) was held jointly with my mother.

Although I am named in the will as a beneficiary only in the event of my mother having died before my father, I am not named as an executor. My mother needs someone else to deal with these affairs, so is there a form or some other method for her to pass this responsibility to me?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case.

It is with pleasure to try to assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

What is the value of the estate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Assets held purely in his name amount to about £67,000 (bank and building society accounts and premium bonds).

All other assets are jointly owned by my mother, so I assume that these do not make up part of his estate.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I need you to clarify some facts please because
this is not at all clear.

You say that your mother is named as the sole
executor tricks and beneficiary, but then you say you're also appointed to
partners of the legal firm as trustees and executors. So is she a sole executor
or not?

Have you asked the solicitors if they will
renounce?

Have they done any work at all on this yet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your response does not inspire confidence.

Please do not spend any more time on my query. I will resolve this matter by other means.

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello there,

Are you still looking for assistance, as I would be happy to help?

Kind Regards

AL

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert who thinks they can help with your question. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.