Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My name isXXXXX , I AM A PARTNER IN A PROPERTY COMPANY

Customer Question

My name isXXXXX , I AM A PARTNER IN A PROPERTY COMPANY CALLED WESTRIDGE INVESTMENTS , MY PARTNERS NAME ISXXXXX . EARLIER THIS YEAR N POWER WHO SUPPLIES POWER TO ONE OF OUR PROPERTIES TOOK ME TO THE COUNTY COURT AND GOT JUDGEMENT AGAINST ME FOR AN UNPAID BILL . HOWEVER THE BILL HAD ALREADY BEEN PAID AND THEY MADE A MISTAKE . I HAD TO GO TO COURT TO CLEAR THE JUDGEMENT AGAINST MYSELF , N POWER OFFERED £75.00 COMPENSATION WHICH I REFUSED . IT CAUSED MYSELF AND FAMILY ALOT OF STRESS, ANNOYANCE AND EMBARRASSMENT AS I HAD TO ALSO INFORM MY BAK MANAGER
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is AJ and I will assist you today.

Alex J. :

Can you quantify how much loss you suffered as a result of this? Ideally would you accept in compensation? Kind regards

Alex J. :

AJ

JACUSTOMER-ugsy7yhl- :

Thank you for your reply , however I have asked you the question . I had to pay Court fees approx. £70 , I have attended Court to defend myself and clear my name , travel and time £550.00 , your fee , stress and time sorting out N power £ 3,000.00 . It may increase if I have to involve the Local newspapers .

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. You will only be able to make a claim against them on the basis that they have firstly been in breach of your agreement with them and secondly caused you loss. That is why it is critical that you can prove how the losses have been incurred. You may potentially have a claim for unlawful harassment under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and also for their failure to provide the service with reasonable skill and care. You could try and make a claim in the county court as the financial threshold is low enough, however you are far more likely to achieve a result (and do so cost effectively) by going to trading standards and letting them mediate the dispute and/or making a formal complaint to Ofgem. As a starting point have you written to N Power and said "I have suffered XYZ loss hear are the receipts" and asked them to increase the compensation on that basis? Kind regards AJ