Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have inherited a freehold flat from my late brother and the

Customer Question

I have inherited a freehold flat from my late brother and the name change of ownership was dealt with. Why are the managing agents requesting I deal with them seperately and not just check with the land registry? Their solicitor is charging £450 which is ludicrous. Can I do this myself and what paperwork is required?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

I take it that you have inherited a Flat, which is held under a Lease.

If so, whenever ownership changes, the Purchaser or new owner is under a duty to serve formal Notice of Transfer on the Managing Agents. The Lease will explain in full what is required- for example, there may be a Deed of Covenant that you may need to sign, which is basically a document confirming that you will pay the service charge/ the Agents may also need to deal with issuing you with a Share Certificate if you are to become a member of the Management Company or own a share in the Freehold.

I'm afraid all these different issues attracts fees- although all Managing Agents fees are astronomical, £450 is the usual fee if all of the above issues need to be dealt with.

I would be happy to clarify matters further if you could confirm what exactly the M Agents have asked be dealt with.

Kind Regards

AL