Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I recently purchased a terraced house that was built around

Customer Question

I recently purchased a terraced house that was built around 300 years ago. The land/garden that backs onto my property has timber decking on it that belongs to the neighbour who backs onto my house. I contacted the land registry and they confirmed that this piece of land/garden is not registered as belonging to my property and it isn't listed as belonging to my neighbour either. Apparently all the houses and land originally belonged to Thurgoland Hall hundreds of years ago but the Hall was demolished in the Victorian era. The annoying thing is that I looked at my council tax valuation banding and apparently they have valued my property at 82 square metres. The only way my property can measure 82 square metres is if it includes the back garden area that my neighbour has timber decking n. The lady at the land registry confirmed that no one has registered this piece of land as belonging to them and yet I am paying taxes for it. Can I claim the land as mine?
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.

Joshua :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Joshua :

Is the land you wish to claim enclosed in practice within your garden please - e.g. fenced off as part of your garden? If not have you actually used the land in practice?

JACUSTOMER-kvpb5t4s- :

No my neighbour seems to have claimed it for his own use and has put wooden decking down on it. But he hasn't put a fence round it and the woman at the Land Registry said that he probably wouldn't be attempting to claim it cos he would need to put a fence round it to claim it as his own. She also confirmed that there are no claims pending on the land.

JACUSTOMER-kvpb5t4s- :

I attach a copy of the title deed showing my house. The neighbours house is called Bleak House:

JACUSTOMER-kvpb5t4s- :

The land in questins is the bit between my house marked in red and Bleak House

title plan
Full Size Image