12826847

In a scenario where someone has declared that a submitted piece

Customer Question

In a scenario where someone has declared that a submitted piece of academic work is their work, however, it was actually a piece of work where she has ordered someone to produce for her. What are the possible legal responsibilities of this?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know someone who is applying for University, he got a very academic friend of his to write her a 'reference' example of a personal statement, but in the end, I found out that he actually copied and pasted the whole personal statement from his friend.

I have been told that this is actually fraud.

So the whole reference is a fake?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The whole personal statement is indeed no written by him yes. It is not his work and when he applied he signed a declaration that it has to be his own true work.

But he hasn't forged somebody else's name?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No he hasn't what he has done is took another person's work, copied it and claims to be his in order to gain an unfair advantage over other applicants.

Well, that is plagiarism.

It isn't forgery so the police will not be interested.

However if he is passing off another's work as his own then that is plagiarism and that would lead to action by the University if they knew about it.

The University have a number of sanctions but one is to withdraw him from the course. Often that is the penalty for plagiarism. Its taken very seriously at University.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is not at university yet, he is applying for university.

Yes, but if it was submitted during the application then he could be removed from the procedure if he is passing off the work of another as his own.