I recently told my ex employers who installed another agent

Customer Question

I recently told my ex employers who installed another agent in my area less than a mile away from me without even telling me, I only found out from the delivery driver that I intended to publish this fact on u tube they responded by saying this is defamatory therefor libel and they would sue me. can I be sued for telling the truth ?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Sorry but what is defamatory? Whats the defamatory statement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the statement is that they installed another agent in my area thereby making my job virtually impossible they did not consult or even tell me I only found out by accident from the delivery driver hillarys are keen on stating that this is our business and we have to pay to join the company I think people should be aware of this before they part with there money and join them as this could happen to them this bare fact about the agent is completely true ,my statement also includes the fact that they market fabrics on their web site that are the same as the advisor site but people cannot make this choice because there under a completely different name so I pointed out a simple way for people to get round this problem and save a lot of money plus I think an awful lot of people would be very angry with hillarys because they paid a lot more than they needed same fabric different name different price probably legal but not nice

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. My colleague has asked me to look at this for you.

Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know whether the company promised that you will be the only agent in the area
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the company never mentioned this fact as selling areas can overlap however after paying for the right to work for them you do not expect to be knifed in the back all the things intended to say online are true including a way for people to save big money online by telling them many fabrics are available under a different name on their website on both issue,s they have said are defamatory and therefor libelous

Thank you. Libel (written statement) or slander (oral statement) are both forms of defamation and occur when someone makes an untrue statement about someone else and makes it sufficiently public so that injures or denigrates the other person. If all you have done is told the truth then that cannot be defamatory as the truth is the ultimate justification for defamation. It just appears that the company are using defamation and threats of legal action as a way of scaring you into not making the statement. Also they may not know that defamation is a very expensive area so taking legal action is certainly not going to be cheap or easy. So I would not worry too much about legal action coming your way.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you are unhappy for some reason with the advice - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you very much