How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70109
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Please can you advise on the following paragraph as I feel

Customer Question

Please can you advise on the following paragraph as I feel that this is untrue and that I am able to obtain the transcripts?

"there is no transcript what was said in the court room as we do not record proceedings in the magistrate's court"

I attended court 3rd November 2011 as summoned to the court by Arun District Council for an unauthorized structure in my garden ie a skate board ramp I appeared in front of the magistrate's and was asked if I was guilty or not guilty, I pleaded not guilty. I defended myself and I was told by the magistrate's I had been found not guilty of an unauthorised structure and therefore I was entitled to my costs I asked for the sum of £7000 which was the cost of dismantling and rebuilding the ramp as I had now won the case, as I had removed the ramp before the court hearing awaiting the court outcome. The court at this point changed tact and notified me that Arun District Council had withdrawn the case I had not been notified by the court of this development until after the final judgement the court advised me that I should contact the council and ask them for my costs which I argued I felt it was the courts responsibility to do this which at first the clerk was willing to do this, but this did not happen therefore the council refused to pay my costs.

In order to make the council aware of the court outcome I attempted under the freedom of information act to obtain the transcripts of the hearing which the court has replied that the case was withdrawn and the letter finishes with the paragraph above in " "

Anyone I have spoken to about this seems that all court hearings are recorded in some way - where do I stand and what do I do to get my costs?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

There are no transcripts of Magistrates Court hearings I'm afraid. Its not a Court of record.

What you can apply for is the notes of the court clerk on the day. You do obviously have to show good reason such as an appeal or a subsequent hearing etc.

But there are no transcripts.

I'm afraid the fact that you have been found not guilty does not mean you are entitled to all of your costs. The current rule is that even where a person succeeds they are only entitled to costs of up to the legal aid rates which will be nothing like £7,000 Im afraid. There are some challenges to this that will be decided next year but thats the current rule.

The way to make an application though would have been at court when the matter was dismissed and then you just seek a costs order from central funds.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo


Thank you in your response



Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions