my question was in the body of my email ' what is my next step' i need the certificate
To Jo C.
What is the next step can you word a letter I could send to get them to provide the necessary electrical certificate whithout which I cannot ge tmy buildings approval certificate and therefore will be in breach of my lease.
Are you serious - this is a complete waste of time the fact that you have not read the question is rather worrying as the answer was in there
what do you not understand about the fact that I need the necessary/mandatory electrical certificate from my builder to satisfy the local council buildings approval officer so that he is in a position to issue the bulding approval certificate. The builder is sidestepping and now not answering my emails - it is their duty to supply the certificate but they are all out of delaying tactics and now refuse to respond. What words can I use to get them to act on this?
I did read the question. Several times. Your question was "what ismy next step when they acknowledge the emails but keep making excuses".
What do you want? The electrical certificate? Is that it?
That is why want to know what you want to achieve because I don'tknow what has gone wrong apart from the lack of the electrical certificate.
our emails crossed and I have now seen your reply.
Give me five minutes and I will give you your answer.
this is relatively easy to deal with.
Write to the company and tell them that unless you get theelectrical certificate by Friday, 25 October 2013, you will, without furthernotice, engage an electrician to inspect the electrical work and test it andprovide you with the necessary certificate and you will seek the costs fromthem and pursue them through the County Court if necessary.
I would head the letter "Letter Before Action. Urgent ActionRequired. Legal Proceedings Imminent". It is of no legal effect but might focustheir mind or wake them from their slumbers!
Sometime after 25 October, if they have not got back to you withthe certificate, I would arrange an electrician to come round to inspect andtest, pay his bill and then ask them up for the money. I would give them sevendays in that letter and if they don't pay up, I would issue Small Claims Courtproceedings against them without further notice which you can do quite easilyhere www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
for the sake of a piece of paper, I cannot see why they areignoring you but if you don't do something positive, you will still be sendingthe fruitless requests in another five years which is obviously completely andutterly unacceptable
Does that answer the question?
I am happy to answer any specific questions that you may have
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positivelyrate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You shouldnow see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer serviceformally.If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is mylivelihood!If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questionsafter rating my answer service.Rating doesn't close the enquiry atall even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you toread and ask for further clarification.Regards.
PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day andweekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.
PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I onlytype with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does nothear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to butsometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't makesense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.