After renting a static caravan on an illegal site the landlord

Customer Question

After renting a static caravan on an illegal site the landlord has been told by the council to remove the caravan by November 30th 2013. He is requesting that I remove it but as there was no tenancy agreement and no receipt of the £70 a week rent that he was asking, does he have any legal standing to take me to a court? There is also no proof of ownership of the static caravan of which he says that I own even though he has thr keys to the van. Thank you if you can give any advice

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I presume you cannot deny renting this site?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for Jo.C

The only proof that the landlord has for proof of rent is four months of mail that somehow disappeared that were from the council but I assume that it is illegal to open anyone else's post? He is seeking legal action and I believe that this might be his proof. So other than that he can not prove that I lived there. The letters from the council were about the fact that he gave notice and weather or not re-housing was a possibility.

On what basis does the landlord say that you own a caravan
suddenly when all you did in the past was rent it?

Do you have the caravan owner's address?

Who is taking you to court?

For what exactly?

Have you now moved out?

Can we have the full background please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bought the van from a guy living on the site before me there was nothing to say this transaction took place the landowner assured me he was legal before I handed money to the van owner. I then paid the landowner rent every week but there was no receipt or anything in writing a t all. People had been doing this for years.

the land owner is now evicting me as the council said he never had permission to have a site there.

He harrrassed me and I believe took my post but cannot prove it and am now homeless staying with friends. He is threaten ing me with the police but does not know where I am staying

The police are unlikely to be interested in this.

Unless you lie, then you admit that you bought the van.

He can take you to court if he knows where you are living but you may have the right to bring in whoever sold you the van as second defendant if they misrepresented it as being on the site illegally.

Can I help further?