Questions for a barristerI have some problem with my barrister

Customer Question

Questions for a barrister

I have some problem with my barrister (public access). I sent formal complaint to the barrister.

I requested the barrister to deal with “cancellation and partial refund for the contract” and “releasing information and documents I am entitled to”.

I already sent 3 letters of formal complaint since August 2013. The barrister has done nothing to put things right since my formal complaint and some matters (information mentioned above) left unattended since June 2013.

As soon as the last formal complaint was sent, I suddenly received e-mail from the barrister saying that I withdrew my instructions from the barrister some months ago (when???), accordingly I am no longer the barrister’s client therefore the barrister has no further obligation to correspond with me.

I receive the barrister’s e-mail within 20 days prior to the court hearing.

Further the barrister did not provide me information which once the barrister confirmed in writing to deal with prior to my formal complaint in July 2013.

The barrister has not responded to my last formal complaint and also did not provide reasons for not doing so.

I have never used the term in the barrister’s e-mail that “you withdrew your instructions from me” when communicating.

I requested to cancel the contract and make a refund as specified in my first formal complaint and release withheld information and correspondence I am entitled to as they are required for the next court hearing at the beginning of November 2013.

I do not think the barrister comply with code of conduct (bar standards board).

I read three documents as below.
1. (E) Withdrawal from a case 34-40 in THE PUBLIC ACCESS SCHEME GUIDANCE FOR BARRISTERS.
2. Part VI - Acceptance and return of instructions
3. Annexe F2 - Public Access Rules

I do not believe that the barrister’s statement above is justified by the barrister’s obligations under the Code of conduct (bar standards board), in particular, as a public access barrister.

I would like to prove the way the barrister handled my formal complaint and abandoned my case is not complied with the Code of conduct (bar standards board) as a licensed public access barrister. Because the barrister has not acted in my best interest.

Please point out which section(s) in above mentioned documents (1-3) exactly and reasons why you form such a legal opinion. I would require “clause(s) and explanation(s)”.

I would like to have barrister’s advice.

Please confirm your charges and timescale for my question. Thank you.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Alex Watts :

Have you complained to the set of Chambers please?

JACUSTOMER-yx5hg9hq- :

I am sorry but I understand that I agreed to pay for the answers provided by the barrister. And I thought I was provided the name of the barrister who I can not recall right now.

I agreed to pay for the written advice in details for this sent by e-mail.

So please do not answer if you are a solicitor.

Please tell me how I can obtain an advice from the barrister which I requested and confirmed initially on line.

Alex Watts :

You need to ask for a specific barrister. Please do not reply as it comes back to my Inbox.