75100385

I have been taken for £7900-00 for a car my daughter wanted

Customer Question

I have been taken for £7900-00 for a car my daughter wanted to buy and the guy has done a duck. I paid and now the Banks wont help. It was all my savings
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 3 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to the site. My name is Max and I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

Did you take insurance out on the vehicle from the moment you paid this guy?

JACUSTOMER-8d60mfcg- :

No my daughter did not.

Max Lowry :

Can I ask what you want to know specifically about this please?

JACUSTOMER-8d60mfcg- :

I am very confussed now - your site asked me for email address, which I gave and it said you already have that by another user????

Max Lowry :

Don't know - I am just a user on the site like you. I can ask customer servies to contact you to investigate if you wish after our chat?

JACUSTOMER-8d60mfcg- :

What other action can I take to try and get any money back from this man? Surely the banks have insurance against this, but both banks are not talking to each other and my bank says that fraud has not contacted them. How do I get fraud to contact the bank

JACUSTOMER-8d60mfcg- :

Should I be contacting a Lawyer locally.........but will that help, as they are costly

Max Lowry :

Did you pay by cheque?

JACUSTOMER-8d60mfcg- :

no..........fool I was it was internet banking transfer

Max Lowry :

Ah okay, that does make it worse as the funds usually transfer instantly.

I'm sorry to say that there is little you can do other then by suing the person concerned, to recover your money, or better still, by using the police to recover it for you.

JACUSTOMER-8d60mfcg- :

Well isnt that what fraud is there for? They are most unhelpful

Max Lowry :

They aim to stop it I guess, before it happens, but once it does, for something like this, it's a police matter really or they expect you to try and recover the money yourself through the court system.

Max Lowry :

You could always try complaining the Ombudsman, about the bank's refusal to help, but to be honest, I don't think it will get you very far.

Max Lowry :

All that said, I expect the police shoud be able to help trace the account owner and investigate whether this is a stitch-up for you.

Max Lowry :

If it is, then they can prosecute and recover the money for you.

JACUSTOMER-8d60mfcg- :

Thank you, you have not helped. Where is the justice. Thanks

Max Lowry :

Appreciate I haven't helped and can't help recover it, but at least you know what the bottom line is, and that there is little recourse out there. That in itself, strange though it might seem, is helpful to know.

JACUSTOMER-8d60mfcg- :

thanks

Max Lowry :

Thanks. Do pursue with the police, it might still come good for you.

Would you mind rating the answer as highly as you can for me please?

Max Lowry :

Why have you rated the service as poor please?

Max Lowry :

I have only tried to give you an accurate and honest answer.

]

JACUSTOMER-8d60mfcg- :

Because you have not given any hope and I thought this was a fair place to live. I am not prepared to say anymore

Max Lowry :

Its unfair that people who are honest and try to help are criticised for being unable to. I'm sorry you feel the need to rate my answer as poor in the circumstances.

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

I see the expert has opted out - do you still need help? Although bear in mind it may not be the answer you want, but it will be honest.