For Jo C
I purchased some led lamps, 27/09/2013 fitted immediately they arrived, in my clients premises.
The secondtime my clint used one lamp erupted with a very loud bang and bright flash.
My client is a childminder and the adults and children present were alarmed, shocked and freightened. My client refused to touch the electrics until checked.
I sent a colleague, he discovered the RCD had tripped at the Consumer Unit, one damaged lamp, the light switch intermittently faulty and some blackening to the lamp shade.
He removed All new LED bulbs.
The following day we received an e-mail from the supplier recalling the lamps, explaining that there was a mistake in manufacture.
I then e-mailed them on 29/09/2013 explaining the course of events. Aswell as explaining that this has cost me in labour and reputation.
I immediately received a telephone call. The Supplier stated that it was a "tiny fault, the capacitor had been fitted in the wrong place".
He suggested that the RCD would alleviate any damage. I said that I was quite happy to get an independant Engineer to examine the installation and his lamps, at his cost. Or forward some photographs to him.
He said no, he would like his technician to investigate. He offered some dates which I said were not convenient as I wanted to be present. He implied he would e-mail me with his proposed course of action.
On receiving the e-mail it just re-iterated the same dates.
I awaited his suggested course of action.
21/10/2013 I e-mailed explaining my disapiontment and asking what they were going to do.
Below is his reply.
Thank you for your email. We were awaiting your reply to our communication on the 29/09/2013.
We have been distributing this product for many months without any issues, but the manufacturer had made a mistake with one of the batches and as soon as we were notified, immediate necessary precautions were taken to alleviate the situation by removing the affected product from market and recalling the small number of affected bulbs.
We are passionate about our business hence our immediate action to recall the product and would never sell or consider selling defective / dangerous products. All our products go through various tests to make sure they are completely safe if a fault develops or if there is a manufacturers fault.
We are always willing to work with our customers to resolve any issues and believe it is not necessary to inconvenience you with obtaining a report or taking photographs as we were willing to send a qualified NIEIC approved electrical technician but do not in any way restrict you from doing so.
If the bulbs have not already been returned, please send them back to us at your earliest convenience as per the email sent on 28/09/2013.
The lighTree Team.
I would like to know my rights regarding redeeming the cost of the labour, parts etc incurred because of this incident.
Many regards Alan