13262538

my partner has custody of her son and his dad has him every

Customer Question

my partner has custody of her son and his dad has him every other weekend. this has never gone through court but has been like this for the past 6 years. the boy is 8. my partner lives in Merthyr Tydfil and her ex lives in Llanelli (approximately 35 miles apart). for the first four and half year my partner took their soon to his father on a Friday and picked him up on a sunday as the father did not drive. He has now been driving for a year and 3 months and picks the boy up from Merthyr on a Friday but refuses to bring him home on a sunday. The father is very disrespectful to my partner via text, mobile phone and if they see each other (often in front of the child). My partner wants to demand that he now picks his son up on a Friday and brings him on at a reasonable time on the sunday. where does she stand legally please?
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where did they live when they were together?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

llanelli

In that case it is reasonable for the transport to be shared between them as it is - and if the matter went to court it is unlikely that the father would have to do both journeys.
However this does not excuse the unpleasantness which is not good for the child either
This is the area where your partner should concentrate negotiations - using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) if necessary
She may also get ideas from this website
http://theparentconnection.org.uk/
However disappointing I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details