12826847

I gave directions to the BT openreach man on the mobile. I

Customer Question

I gave directions to the BT openreach man on the mobile. I know when I'm being abused I cant think or speak I just Freeze. By the time he reached my home I felt like I had been "raped " mentally. He continue in this vein. You realy do know when this is happening to you, the confusion, disorientation. you are alone in your house with this man. You are their but without reference to another male you are not there. My spoken English is considered extreamly good, even thouth I am dislexic. I have sent off to bt. NO details just that I would like contact with a Female about a serious complaint. I feel that this man sould not be out on the road near women. Please do you have any advice as to how to proceed with this ? Joy Jones

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Alex Watts :

Have BT said how long they would take to investigate? When you say being abused, what exactly did he say please?

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

he phoned me because his satnav directed him down an unmade road unsutible for cars. I explained what had happened, a common satnav error and gave him the correct directions through the village. Why cant I continue up the hill he asked? Whats his problem??? So I repeated that if he did not wish to take the bottom out of his van to follow my diredtions. Why cant I go up the hill he asked again. By this time the male park manager was next to me and it being passed my understanding as to why I was invisable I handed the phone to the manager who repeated verbatum my instructions which now reiterated by a man seemed acceptable. He continued in this dismissive way in my house.

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

I have waited patiently looking at the clock on yout site to reduce in minutes then I found this window, sent the above message to fine out that you are off line !!

Alex Watts :

May I ask then if he asked "why can't I go up the hill" how is this being verbally raped please?

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

AH, Well you have to experience this "blanking out" and denial by someone infront of you to know what this feels like. denial of ones presence, advice, opinion or existance is unemaginable. The man is obviously masogonistic. Im not sure how to say this, without sounding like the oposite (cant remember) of masog etc but your a man ,does this have relivence to you? How far up the asbergers scale are you if it is relivent?

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

Sorry did not answer your question. repeating a question 3 times is more than insulting.

Alex Watts :

I do not know that I have ever been tested.

Alex Watts :

What you need to do is write a formal letter to BT and complain about this person if you feel mistreated.

Alex Watts :

Their complaints department is located at:

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

Having trouble with my computer

Alex Watts :

Alexander Bain House

15 York Street

Atlantic Quay

GLASGOW

G2 8LA

Alex Watts :

They will investigate the complaint and then let you know what, if anything they have done.

Alex Watts :

But what you can not do is stop BT employing this person or being out on the road.

Alex Watts :

Therefore Joy this is what you should do, it may just be better knowledge or more training on the subject, as he may not have meant it.

Alex Watts :

But that is what you should do - write formally to BT at the address above and they will investigate this as a complaint.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question, please take a moment before you leave and rate my service, which I hope has been excellent, it only takes a second and is an important part of the process. Otherwise if you need more information or help then please click reply. Alex

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

THat is not advice. I wish to stay on the right side of the law and I want law to back me up

Alex Watts :

You would stay on the right side of the law.

Alex Watts :

Could you sue BT for him asking why can't he use a hill - sadly no.

Alex Watts :

There has been no criminal offence that has been committed even under the Public Order Act.

Alex Watts :

The law will not stop someone asking why can you not go up a hill.

Alex Watts :

But writing to BT may well raise a training issue.

Alex Watts :

It may be that this person has not come across someone with your difficulties and it may just be training or how to recognise it.

Alex Watts :

I have advised that you write to BT and this is the right and proper course of action.

Alex Watts :

By doing this you would stay on the right side of the law.

Alex Watts :

Does this answer your question?

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

I know to put it in writing. I need to know how to remove this man from treating women like this. he should not be on house calls

Alex Watts :

You can not, that is not your job.

Alex Watts :

There is no criminal offence by asking someone if they can take a hill.

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

What difficulties are you refering to

Alex Watts :

All you can do by law is to write to BT and inform them.

Alex Watts :

You have no other legal remedies

Alex Watts :

You can not sue BT or make them remove this person, you can not do that.

Alex Watts :

You said about being dyslexic

Alex Watts :

That is the difficulty I was referring to. I have a very good friend who is and understand the difficulties she faces.

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

Ask me a question about why you cant drive up an unmade road please

Alex Watts :

I am here to provide legal advice and what you can and can not do.

Alex Watts :

You asked what you can do and I replied that you can write to BT to bring this to their attention but that is the limit of what you as a person can do.

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

my dislexia has nothing to do with my inteligence nor my verbal ability. I am a very inteligent woman

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

and I know when a man is being ab

Alex Watts :

I didn't say otherwise.

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

sive

Alex Watts :

If you feel you have been abused you can report this to the Police as this would be a criminal offence.

Alex Watts :

It may be an offence under the Public Order Act

Alex Watts :

A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a)uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b)displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

Alex Watts :

If that has happened then you should report this to the Police.

Alex Watts :

The Police can investigate and prosecute if they are satisfied that an offence has been committed.

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

you intermated that my dislesia was the cause of my distress, this is insulting

Alex Watts :

I never said, I simply said that he may not have considered this.

Alex Watts :

But you can report it to BT and/or the Police

Alex Watts :

Has this answered the question for you?

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

Oh wake up please. my dislexia got to do with talking

Alex Watts :

I am awake thank you. I understand what you are saying about talking.

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

I mentioned it bcause my spelling is not great and the words are jumping all over the page

Alex Watts :

Yes. But I am able to read everything fine - you are doing just great in getting your point accross.

Alex Watts :

So I have given you 2 options

Alex Watts :

1) Write to BT and complain

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

A static problem I think with the computer

Alex Watts :

2) Complain to the Police

Alex Watts :

Can I help you any further today about this please?

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

Why? nothing you have said sugests that he has commited an offence. masognanists can be as nasty as they like and their is nothing a woman can do aparently

Alex Watts :

Ok - if I can not help you then I will close the conversation. I have given you 2 steps to take BT and the Police.

Alex Watts :

I repeat the test by the Police:

Alex Watts :

A person is guilty of an offence if he—

Alex Watts :

You are saying you have been abused and you said you felt like you had been raped.

Alex Watts :

If that is the case then an offence has been committed.

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

I wanted legal advice not patting on the head

Alex Watts :

I have given you legal advice.

Alex Watts :

I have said to report it to the Police and BT

Alex Watts :

I have given you my legal view in relation to this matter.

JACUSTOMER-a5lv632e- :

I am 63 years of age, well educated, well travelled, stop patranising me

Alex Watts :

Ok - well in that case I will close the conversation, no need to reply as the system thinks you are stuck.

Alex Watts :

Good luck with resolving this.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I see my colleague has opted out.

I am a criminal practitioner and I can tell that there is no offence under the Public Order Act or other legislation that would apply.

Also, I am sorry to say that I cannot see a complaint that can be raised to BT either.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for a direct and sucint answer to my question. that was all I needed to know. So how dismissive and rude can I be and it not be against the law????
Rudeness is not generally against the law I'm afraid.

Actually shouting abuse in a public place offends against S5 public order but that isn't what he did here I'm afraid.