75100385

Good AfternoonWe are a company carrying out building cleaning

Customer Question

Good Afternoon

We are a company carrying out building cleaning and refurbishment works.

We recently quoted to carry out some painting works on a site in London that required a special iridescent paint. We received a purchase order to carry out the works and had to order the paint in specially. We submitted our method statement and risk assessments to the client and these were accepted (we have this in writing) and a date was set to carry out the work.
The day before we were due to start the works we received an email advising that the spec had changed. We advised the customer that to meet the new spec we would have to re quote for the works. We received an email back from the customer advising us to go ahead as per the original spec.
We arrived on site the next day to commence the works and were told that we could not carry out the works and were asked to leave site.
We have invoiced the customer for the cost of the specially ordered paint and labour costs for one day but they are refusing to pay.
Do we have a case for them to reimburse us for these costs as we have in writing their instructions to carry out the work as per the original spec?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
Alex Watts : Was there a signed contract? How much did you invoice for and on what basis are they refusing payment please?
Customer : Hi
Customer : Yes we have a signed contract and are charging for the cost of the paint and the cost of labour for one day.
Customer : They say they are not paying anything because we did not carry out the works and they had to get another company in to do the work - they did not give us the opportunity to re quote as per the new spec. We have copies of emails from the them confirming that although the spec had changed they wanted us to go ahead as per the original spec.
Alex Watts : Does the contract say you can charge for these things if cancelled? Please note I am on and offline today.
Customer :

A copy of our terms & conditions were sent with our original quote that state that is the customer cancels the job we can charge between 50% and 100% of any costs we have incurred.

Alex Watts : How much is owing please?