75100385

Common law: What if it is found that there are 2 precedents

Customer Question

Common law: What if it is found that there are 2 precedents in different courts for two similar (mirror image) cases please.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Alex Watts :

I assume you mean similar cases but the outcomes were different?

Alex Watts :

You take the one which is in the highest Court and this one is binding.

Alex Watts :

If the decisions are from the same Court then the one that is the newest is the latest position in law.

Alex Watts :

That means the most recent one is the most up to date and the one which the Court would follow.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question, please take a moment before you leave and rate my service, which I hope has been excellent, it only takes a second and is an important part of the process. Otherwise if you need more information or help then please click reply. Alex