75100385

I have a small business and our accountants had become to expensive

Customer Question

I have a small business and our accountants had become to expensive so we approached another firm who at the initial interview confirmed that they would take my company on.

They head accountant and person in charge quoted me verbally £1500.00 for last years
books and 1500.00 for this current year. This was done after a verbal discussion of my business.

I accepted this but not in writing and handed over my books.

The accountants are now saying (after working on them for 6 weeks) that there is a lot more work than they at first thought and the bill will be more in the region of £5000.

My reply is that once they received my books they should have re-assessed the price they had given and before starting work arranged another meeting with me to quote a new price, I could have then consented to the work at that price or continued my search.

Can they do this.

Regards Vic

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
Alex Watts : Have you signed any contract and has any substantive work been completed please?