Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

My new employer is a large company who runs petrol forecourts

Customer Question

My new employer is a large company who runs petrol forecourts with shops attached. In my initial safety training I was advised that the company takes the security if its staff very seriously. Fair enough. This however extends to advice that were minors or drunks to become aggressive that we should sell them what is requested as the company does not want to be the source of reprisal action. This is against the law and makes me deeply uncomfortable both as a responsible member of the community and as a Personal Licence holder. I questioned this advice and was told that as no enforcement agent would behave this way my licence "would be safe". The second day of my induction training covered the sale of age restricted products and upon completion of this segment I had to sign to agree that I'd received this training and that breaches or the law could result in my dismissal. Where do I stand were I to leave because of the previous and standing advice to sell any way if the customers are showing aggression? (The job market out there is rather fragile.) This appears to me to be unfair terms and in any event jeopardises my licence and future employability. Further concerns about this employer are that colleagues who have not contracted out of WTD are expected to work shifts with only 8 hours break between, I have no chance of any thing but a snatched cup of coffee during my 8 hour night shift, let alone a half hour uninterrupted break, there is no provision of anything to heat any food even were I able to get the time to eat anything. Are there grounds to leave on unfair terms and conditions at all?

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. When did you start working there
JACUSTOMER-308xper8- :

September 24th this year.

Ben Jones :

If you were to leave would you be looking to take any action against them?

JACUSTOMER-308xper8- :

Not necessarily. I would wish to be able to continue looking for work without having to explain why I left. Recent experience already has me down as a "trouble maker" as I am going through Employment Tribunal with my previous employer of over 22 years.

Ben Jones :

I have looked into your query in more detail but do not think I have the answer to your question. I will therefore opt out and let other experts take this further if they can. Someone should respond shortly. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes.Please continue.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please continue. What good would it be for me to rephrase the question leaving only the serious nub of advice to breach licensing laws in certain circumstances? I would still like to know whether this training constitutes unfair terms and conditions with its potential to jeopardise my personal licence and leave me open to prosecution.

Helen XXXXXX.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't want it closed. I would like a response. I have hitherto had very poor value for my subscription. Pperhaps you could up yer value of the response to the expert at your expense in considerations of this. That may attract a better response. i