75100385

We have property in Cyprus with a mortgage .The bank in Cyprus

Customer Question

We have property in Cyprus with a mortgage .The bank in Cyprus gave a option not to pay mortgage first was twelve months and six months now they say we are in arrears for 7000 pounds and put a debt collector on to us .Can they take my house in UK and what powers do they have .We are paying 400 pounds a month Also next year they want us to pay 4000 pounds a month .Please can you help me

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid. If they get what is the same as a County Court Judgment here in Cyprus then can apply to enforce it in the UK because of what is called the Brussels Regulation and the Lugano Convention and The Administration of Justice Act 1920

Alex Watts :

They could, if they wished apply to apply for a charge on this debt to your house and secure if.

Alex Watts :

If you then failed to meet payments as in accordance to any Court order, they could apply for an Order to sell your house here.

Alex Watts :

I would therefore suggest that you reach some sort of repayment plan with them to avoid any action here in the UK and in the absence of any agreement they could get Judgment, charge your property and in the extreme enforce it.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question, please take a moment before you leave and rate my service, which I hope has been excellent, it only takes a second and is an important part of the process. Otherwise if you need more information or help then please click reply. Alex

Alex Watts :

Please remember you are rating my service and not whether or not it was the answer you wanted. Thanks

Alex Watts : You have rated poor even though I have given you the correct legal answer - what else would you like to know?
JACUSTOMER-5omcne2g- :

We are paying 400 pounds a month .And if I put my house in company name and iam a tenant what can they do than

Alex Watts : A court can not make you pay what you can not afford.
Alex Watts : If you put it in the company name then they can not seize the house.
Alex Watts : They would only be able to try and seize assets you currently have.
Alex Watts : but if it is in the company name they can not take it from you as you do not own it.
Alex Watts : Does that help?