75100385

Hi,My fiancee and I arranged a wedding for 12 Nov 2013. A

Customer Question

My fiancee and I arranged a wedding for 12 Nov 2013. A small affair of 4 people - she has Pancreatic Cancer and has been given 6 months to live. The Wedding Planner showed us a ceremony room and outlined the catering choices. An email invoice was sent to me. A week later she phoned asking for the money to be paid. (744 GBP was sent).
We spoke to her yesterday to inform her that Addenbrookes Cambridge Hospital have offered surgery, which, if successful will extend my fiancee's life by 2-3 years. It is on
the condition that we can turn up at very short notice (overnight).
With this in mind we wanted to postpone or cancel the wedding. The wedding planner was quick to interject-not with sympathy or with an offer of any help-but with a terse statement that our money was non refundable-and could we not get married before the operation? Irritated, I did ask what is their policy should the bride die before the ceremony. She didn't have an answer for me....
At no time did the wedding planner inform us verbally or by letter/email that our funds were non refundable. I could accept the loss of a deposit, but none was requested and we paid in full. I can recall at the time of payment my fiancee saying that the wedding planner seemed only interested in the money. So it looks.
This is not a case of us calling off the wedding due to a petty row. How can we plan for a happy day whilst waiting for a phone call that means life or death? We were just going to postpone, due to the possibility of a 3 month stay in hospital. But I am so irritated by the attitude of the Wedding Planner-and the lack of empathy for our plight-that I want to cancel and go somewhere else.

So, after all that. Do we have any right to have our money returned? (I have checked the Marriot website and there is no mention of no refund for a cancellation).

Kind Regards
Michael and Carol

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
Alex Watts : How much have you paid and how did you pay? Did you agree or sign any contract that includes cancellation terms please?