Recently purchased a computor from sony costing over £600.

Customer Question

Recently purchased a computor from sony costing over £600. After approximately a month it developed a problem. The computor kept shutting down everytime it was sighned on. We contacted sony who collected it for repair. After 3 weeks they have said that it will cost £350 to repair as it had impact damage. It was not dropped or anyother form of impact whilewe had it. Also they said that they had no spare parts until January. Ifeel that this is unacceptable, where do I stand

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

UCan sony do this?we have not droped the computor and as far as I see that we have ben sold faulty goods.

Obviously the Sale of Goods Act does apply to this purchase. The fault was within the first six months of purchase and so there is a presumption in your favour that the fault existed at the time of sale. It is for them to prove that it did not. Obviously the point that they are making is that there is some form of impact damage and so they are of the view that they can prove that it was not there at the time of sale.

If you disagree with that and they will not relent then your only option is to sue them at the small claims court. You can issue here

They might well settle to avoid the cost of litigation. They will not want to waste manpower on this.