How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70118
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

i wish to obtain a court order to obtain a name and address

Customer Question

i wish to obtain a court order to obtain a name and address from an online stalker. We do have this users IP address and ISP
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

on Saturday 26th September between 18.00 and 23.00 this users "Pinged" our home network and according to BT my ISP they attempted to gain access to the network. IP address
This person has been constantly harassing me and my son through twitter user name @SLATFacsist previously SLATBPS.
This person we believe uses the email address [email protected] gained access into Twitter pages a private forum to access conversations. He has since had his IP address blocked. Although he admits on twitter to using a proxy to view conversations.
He has posted libellous accounts on various blog sites which are just blatant lies and fabrications. He setup various twitter accounts (framing me and my son) tweeting to himself, then after publishing details, deleted the accounts!
We have reported this to MET police and BT are monitoring his IP for further action. However I wish to take a libel case against this user and therefore request his name and address to issue the writ. Can you please tell me if you are prepared to give me this information without going to the crown court to get the necessary authorisation?
you may contact me any time 07816 962626

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately we are not able to communicate by telephone as all contact must be through this site. This is a questions and answer website and we are unable to provide the details you are asking for and therefore you are faced with making an application to court.

You can apply to court on form N244 which you can get from the court service website

the fee is shown on form EX 50 on page 3 and you will see is £175. There is no legal aid available for this.

You are going to have to provide witness statements and supporting evidence.

Your application at this stage is for pre-action disclosure of the address and the defendant is the ISP.

Can I clarify anything for you?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice