12826847

Hello, I have been charged for theft of employee, and due to

Customer Question

Hello, I have been charged for theft of employee, and due to appear in court for the very first time, I have some concerns can you please help me out.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What are the circumstances of the theft please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was a postmaster and was arrested for 6 counts of theft valuing £580 in total, I was charged last week and now due to appear in court

Are these thefts from the post please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cash
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There are 6 allegations in total they start from 2 of them were reported to the police in 2011, and the rest in 2013. 3 out of 6 allegations were already dealt and the complaints were processed. The rest 3 were made in 2013, most of them are elderly people. They said to police that they withdrew £100 from post off and their account was debited £200, so instead of them coming back to me to challenge that hey went to police straight away.
From the post? So you took money from the post?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I didn't, not intentionally, I am not sure if I made any mistake. And it' was not from post it was cash withdrawals.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No , they were all cash withdrawals from their accounts.
Ok. Thanks.

What did you want to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where do I stand with these allegations? And what s he worst can happen? And also if you can tell me if this can go out in the press too?
Thanks for the information.

The worst that can happen is probably not the best consideration. Its unlikely that would be what actually does happen in this specific case.

I'm not sure whether you accept the allegations? Obviously the worst outcome is that you could be convicted.

In terms of sentences, this is a huge breach of trust unfortunately. At least you are not accused of dipping into the post as that would carry custody. There are a number of people though and this is a breach of trust involving vulnerable victims. You cannot hide from the risk of custody. I think, given the low amounts that were taken, you would probably avoid custody though in favour of a suspended sentence and an onerous unpaid work order.

Unfortunately this can be released to the press.

I'm very sorry.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, I don't accept these allegations, what will happen next and secondary is there any way that I can protect this going to the press?
No I'm afraid not. Criminal hearings are public hearings. The press are free to report if they choose.

What will happen next is that you will go to court at the Magistrates to enter a plea. If you are pleading not guilty then you should elect Crown Court trial. It will be adjourned for a preliminary hearing at the Crown Court where a trial date will be set probably for a few months away.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Becaise I haven't committed the offence, and as I said I don't accept the allegations, would it still go on trial if the cant provide with the enough evidence?
Well that is a matter for CPS ultimately.

They should not charge you though if they cannot evidence the offence sufficient to make a conviction more likely than not.