75100385

in my council house I have noticed that the sewage is mixed

Customer Question

in my council house I have noticed that the sewage is mixed with the rainwater and general waste water is this against building regs please ?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Alex Watts :

Could you please explain the situation a little more?

JACUSTOMER-n342np5a- :

NOTICED ALL THREE TYPES OF WASTE ARE MIXED ON DISCHARGE AND DONT THINK THIS IS RIGHT

Alex Watts :

Discharge where? Drains outside?

JACUSTOMER-n342np5a- : Initial discharge at rear of house all three types of water are togrther
Alex Watts : Is this causing you a problem?
JACUSTOMER-n342np5a- : I am just asking if the drains shoulda be mixed I believe as it is does not comply with building regs and when a blockage happens sewage is coming up the rainwater drain into the back garden
Alex Watts : Does this happen?
JACUSTOMER-n342np5a- : Yes that's why I,m asking
Alex Watts :

I see. Have you complained to the Council yet please?

JACUSTOMER-n342np5a- :

I NEED TO CONFIRM WHAT I THINK IS THE REGS THAT IS WHY I,M ASKING YOU FOR CONFIRMATION

Alex Watts :

The Buildings Regs state:

Alex Watts :

Foul water (rain etc):

Alex Watts :

H1 - Sewerage

Alex Watts :

"An adequate system of drainage, shall be provided to carry foul water, from appliances within the building to one of the following in order of priority: a public sewer"

Alex Watts :

Rainwatere

Alex Watts :

H3 - Rainwater

Alex Watts :

Rainwater shall discharge to the following: soakaway, watercourse or sewer

Alex Watts :

So yes they can be mixed together with rain and general waste water.

Alex Watts :

Here is the link to the building reg that says it is ok:

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question I hope my service has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/