75100385

Hi I bought an expensive Dell computer (£945) at an auction

Customer Question

Hi I bought an expensive Dell computer (£945) at an auction several days ago and noticed there is an internal fault which makes the computer screen blurred in one part - about size of a lemon. It's very noticeable and I would like my money back. May I block my debit card transaction and ask them to collect the computer or is this illegal? At the auction I signed a warranty agreement for the computer however I dont see why I should go to all the hassle and cost of shipping or waiting for a replacement. I suspect this is their way of getting rid of faulty computers and letting the customer take the hassle...the computer box had been opened previously and resealed it was obvious.... Regards XXXXX XXXXX ([email protected])

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Alex Watts :

Did you attend the auction or was this online please?

JACUSTOMER-nqmwtfky- :

Hi Alex I attended the auction

Alex Watts :

When was this exactly please Mike, you say a few days ago?

JACUSTOMER-nqmwtfky- :

On Sunday

Alex Watts :

Were goods sold as seen?

JACUSTOMER-nqmwtfky- :

the computers were sold in large cardboard boxes that were sealed

Alex Watts :

Was there a notice or condition that said sold as seen please?

JACUSTOMER-nqmwtfky- :

I never saw such a notice..if it was there it was not prominent

Alex Watts :

I see. Sadly what you can not do is block the debit card transaction. Using a debit card is like using cash, you can not change your mind or stop it.

Alex Watts :

However you do have rights under the Sale of Goods Act in that goods must be:

Alex Watts :

- as described

Alex Watts :

- of suitable quality

Alex Watts :

- fit for purpose

Alex Watts :

If not, then you have a limited time to reject them.

Alex Watts :

In this case you are entitled either to a repair, replacement or a full refund.

JACUSTOMER-nqmwtfky- :

I see how much time do I have?

Alex Watts :

But as you purchased them from an auction it is for you to take them back and exchange/repair/refund - there is no legal responsibility on them to collect them from you.

Alex Watts :

Ideally the sooner the better but generally within 14 days.

Alex Watts :

Some places like Argos have a 30 day return policy.

Alex Watts :

But if you buy from a shop or premises the onus is on you to take it back and return it.

Alex Watts :

If it was mail order, of course things would have been different.

Alex Watts :

Therefore whilst you are entitled to a replacement, refund or a repair sadly you have to take it back.

JACUSTOMER-nqmwtfky- :

I see. OK Alex any more to add? If not thanks for your advice :)

Alex Watts :

Would you like to know anything more about this?

Alex Watts :

For future reference though anything expensive always put on a credit card.

Alex Watts :

That way the card issuer is liable for anything that goes wrong under the Consumer Credit Act.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question, please take a moment before you leave and rate my service, which I hope has been excellent, it only takes a second and is an important part of the process. Otherwise if you need more information or help then please click reply. Alex

Alex Watts :

I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’. Thanks.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

JACUSTOMER-nqmwtfky- :

Thanks I'll remember that! All the best

Alex Watts :

All the best Mike

Alex Watts :

Please do take a moment to rate the service before you leave today. Thanks