I am a tenant in a pub owned by Marstons. In July they arranged

Customer Question

I am a tenant in a pub owned by Marston's. In July they arranged a Fire Risk Assessment. This was never passed on to us and we assumed that no work was required. We had an inspection on October 16th from our local Fire Safety Officer following which we were on the verge of being closed down. He contacted Marston's and requested the FRA. He came back the following day and I was horrified to read that the assessment said that risk to life and serious injury was substantial. 6 points were rated RED which means action required immediately, further 10 points were rated AMBER which meant action within 2 day. They had withheld this report and put us at risk. I have been advised that I can sue for negligence.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What loss did you suffer please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not suffered loss thankfully we did not have a fire. But given that the building is all beamed and we have an open fire the risk was high

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could you let me know when I will receive your answer.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

My colleague has asked me to look at this for you.

1. Could you clarify that you have a lease for the premises please and if so the length of the lease?
  2. Did you use a solicitor to carry out the acquisition of the lease for you?
  3. When was a fire assessment last carried out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

5 year lease

Yes we did

11th July 2013

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Re your final reply, my apologies for not being clearer. I meant by the above, when was the last fire assessment carried out prior to the latest report?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We had no FRA before this one.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I am just about to leave for an appointment but will be pleased to continue this later this evening or tomorrow at your convenience.

Could you tell me if you have been given replies to comercial property enquiries by your solicitor - one of which asks for a copy of the fire safety report for the property - and whether or not your solicitor highlighted that there was no report to you?

Have you discussed the above at all with your solicitor to date?