Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have had a tennent on my land for about 30 years, and he

Customer Question

I have had a tennent on my land for about 30 years, and he has left the site owing two years rent, £3,600. I sent him a letter saying that if he paid £2500 in seven days, we would make that an end to the matter. However he has not responded, so I feel that I will have to take it to a higher level.
What is the best way forward, do you think?
Yours faithfully,
Douglas. I. Middlemiss
Seaton Nurseries,
Seaton Lane,
Seaham,
Co. Durham, SR7 0LT [email protected] tel:-07736690009
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.

Joshua :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Joshua :

Did you have a tenancy agreement please or some other evidence to show that he owes you rent and / or how you calculate the arrears please?

JACUSTOMER-7tog3qoc- :

I only have a verbal agreement for £150 per month. His father was on site for many years before him, but there has never been a written agreement. He has not paid any rent for 2 years, hence £3600.

Joshua :

Sorry for the delay in reverting to you. Thanks for this. Do you have 1) evidence of his previous rent payment history and 2) evidence of when he occupied the land up until please?

JACUSTOMER-7tog3qoc- :

Thank you for coming back. Yes I have a record of payments going back for many years. He cleared h

JACUSTOMER-7tog3qoc- :

Thank you for coming back to me. yes I have record cards of payments made over the years. He cleared his plot in June this year, - I watched him do it - and he said he would be coming into my office to see me, but it did not happen.

Joshua :

Thanks. If he were to dispute the date he left the site would you have any evidence to support the date you say he left - e.g. photos, witnesses, written acknowledgement from him etc?