Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

my aunt recently had a stroke and was in hopsital and then

Customer Question

my aunt recently had a stroke and was in hopsital and then was confused and developed dementia. me and a friend of my aunt's and another lady went into my aunts house together and found £10,000 in cash, so we went and banked it. One of the ladies is now telling people we found more and that i took the rest to bank, and that it was never banked. My aunt who is still in a care home and very confused(never seemed to know what amount was there, as it was just a drawer full of cash thrown in)
I am concerned that these 2 ladies might collaborate this story, and go to police, do they have grounds, as it is my word against theirs and I am frightened something might happen to me. There is a lot of shit going round the family and I fear they have something to gain by doing this to me.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Is there any truth to this allegation against you?

Why would these two ladies tell lies?

Have you ever been in any trouble with the police?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

in all honesty this is not what happened and have never been in trouble in all my life. There seems to be rift in the family and they have been talking to the other side of the family, to be honest im not sure, maybe they want to discredit me. I am astounded

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Any person in this country can report a crime to the police. Once such a report is made the police are legally bound to investigate.

So if the two ladies make a complaint to the police, I'm afraid nobody can stop them wanting to speak with you. They will both have to make statements and you'll be invited for an interview - in some cases people are arrested and interviewed but as far as I can see an arrest is not necessary.

If the police wish to speak to you then it is advisable to cooperate. This is part and parcel of their investigation. Once you've put ypur account forward the police may see that the two ladies in question have fabricated this complaint and they may well get in trouble for wasting police time and/or attempting to pervert the course of justice, both of which are serious criminal offences.

In the meantime, if false allegations about you are being circulated, you should write to these people to tell them to stop and apologise. If they refuse to do so you can threaten to sue them for defamation or malicious falsehood.

If you decide to sue for defamation you can obtain an injunction to stop these people spreading rumours about you and claim comlendation from them. Unfortunately legal aid is not available for these proceedings but you should be able to get a solicitor to write the letter for you for around £100 - £200.

Hope this helps.