75100385

We would like to open a US office branch in New York, but dont

Customer Question

We would like to open a US office branch in New York, but dont know where to start the set up? Should we contact lawyers based in the UK or New York?
thank you

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Alex Watts :

This would certainly be the jurisdiction of the USA.

Alex Watts :

And even then laws vary from state to state, so the law in New York is different from the law in Florida.

Alex Watts :

I would therefore recommend that you consider advice from lawyers in the jurisdiction you are seeking to set up in.

Alex Watts :

Clearly there are a lot here and I would make sure that you get prices from a number of them to make sure you get value for money.

Alex Watts :

US law firms typically work on a retainer, therefore you would need to send them $1000 and they would work until that $1000 is used up.

Alex Watts :

They would not just send you a monthly bill, unless you have an established trading account with them.

Alex Watts :

In the alternative there are UK companies with US based offices:

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-xfp0x3x7- :

hello Alex, thank you for the response. i have contacted the firms in the uk and will give it a go to the New york based ones as well.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question I hope my service has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/