How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70117
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can I travel out of the country for 3 weeks when Im on bail

Customer Question

Can I travel out of the country for 3 weeks when I'm on bail from the Police station, my bail conditions did not mention anything concerning travel? I was accused of rape, which denied the accusations and I gave my own account to the police and was granted bail which I am due back at the Police station on the 13th of January 2013
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this. What is the purpose of your travel?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My Dad is ill and I need to go see him. I was already meant to travel before the arrest.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Have you had to surrender travel documents?

ARe you on bail with a condition of residence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes they got my Passport, even though it's expired. but they did not get the emergency travel certificate I had already made because I was arrested at the airport and taken for questioning.

Looking through the conditions of bail there is no condition of residence.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

You really need to check your conditions of bail with your solicitor. I will be amazed if there is no condition of residence I'm afraid. This is a serious arrestable offence. I know that the fact that its a serious offence doesn't mean the evidence is strong and thats why you are on bail but I've never yet seen a rape without a condition of residence and I've done a few.

However, in any event, the condition that you have to surrender your travel documents prevents you travelling. You cannot have travel documents.

That is not to say that you cannot apply to the court to vary your conditions of bail for a specific reason such as this but if they have your travel documents as part of a bail package then you cannot apply for fresh without the permission of the court.

Can I clarify anything for you?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions