12826847

Can I travel out of the country for 3 weeks when Im on bail

Customer Question

Can I travel out of the country for 3 weeks when I'm on bail from the Police station, my bail conditions did not mention anything concerning travel? I was accused of rape, which denied the accusations and I gave my own account to the police and was granted bail which I am due back at the Police station on the 13th of January 2013

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this. What is the purpose of your travel?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My Dad is ill and I need to go see him. I was already meant to travel before the arrest.

Have you had to surrender travel documents?

ARe you on bail with a condition of residence?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes they got my Passport, even though it's expired. but they did not get the emergency travel certificate I had already made because I was arrested at the airport and taken for questioning.

Looking through the conditions of bail there is no condition of residence.

You really need to check your conditions of bail with your solicitor. I will be amazed if there is no condition of residence I'm afraid. This is a serious arrestable offence. I know that the fact that its a serious offence doesn't mean the evidence is strong and thats why you are on bail but I've never yet seen a rape without a condition of residence and I've done a few.

However, in any event, the condition that you have to surrender your travel documents prevents you travelling. You cannot have travel documents.

That is not to say that you cannot apply to the court to vary your conditions of bail for a specific reason such as this but if they have your travel documents as part of a bail package then you cannot apply for fresh without the permission of the court.