How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69359
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, In June this year I was informed by my Rental Agency that

Customer Question

In June this year I was informed by my Rental Agency that there would be a £250 increase in my monthly rental from £1050 to £1300. They sent through the lease renewal which I signed and returned, they then said they'd get the landlord to sign it too and will send me a copy when he does. June came and went and I never received anything back. At the beginning of July I received an email from the agent requesting that I pay the normal rent amount of £1050 which I did. Throughout July I did not receive any correspondence from anyone and at the beginning of August I received another email requesting that the rent of £1050 be paid, which I did. At the beginning of September, the same thing happened. I was under the impression that the landlord had possibly changed his mind on the signing the new lease due to the fact that I had not received a counter signed agreement and due to the fact that the agent continued to request the original rental amount. Late in September I suddenly received the countersigned lease renewal followed swiftly by a request for £750 in outstanding rent. When I questioned the Agent as to why they only requested the lower £1050 amount they said that legally they could only request the lower amount for that period of 3 months as the landlord had not signed the agreement because he had been away, however, now that he had signed it they could backdate and request the difference. Is this the case? I don't understand how an agreement can supposedly be in place when only signed by one party. I am disputing this amount with them now as I believe that the new rental amount should only be payable on signature of the renewal. They have since threatened me with legal action, dispossession and additional costs if I do not pay up. I don't understand how I can be held to ransom because the Landlord couldn't be bothered to get the agreement signed and returned to me timeously.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just need to know where I stand legally, Do I have to pay the backdated £750? It does not make sense to me that I should have to pay when I essentially lived in limbo not knowing whether I had an agreement in place or not, surely a contract is only legally binding once signed by both parties?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
What type of contract is this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a lease renewal / rent increase contract

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Is it entitled assured shorthold tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

Does the AST refer to £1300?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The original lease was £1050, the Memorandum of Renewal shows £1300

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

If you did sign that then thats a problem I'm afraid. I have to say that I don't know why landlords use renewal documents when fresh ASTs are just as easy. Either way though, if you signed a renewal with a price increase then you are bound by it. There's no way around it really.

The fact that the landlord didn't enforce it doesn't mean you are not liable to pay. Obviously its inefficient of him but that doesn't do anything about his contractual entitlement.

That said though, this is a large price increase. You could complain to the rent assessment committee about the increase. They would consider whether or not its a proper price for the area. If they conclude in your favour then the rent would be reduced.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.

can I clarify anything for you?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice