Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

We have bought a temporary static caravan for the garden so

Customer Question

We have bought a temporary static caravan for the garden so my wife and kids have somewhere to live for 10 weeks during renovations. We. Bought from a dealer and expressed concern at the gas boiler. They assured us they had all been checked but we should get it rechecked after the caravan was delivered. We did just that and it was condemned along with the pipe

The dealer in Ringwood basically told us to sod off as they don't have to offer any guarantee on second hand caravans. My reasoning was that it wasn't a guarantee issue, it was because they were selling a dangerous product which could be potentially fatal. Unfortunately they said the law said they don't need to do anything. This seems incorrect to me as it was dangerous when they sold it as boilers don't deteriate over a day, and despite the law allowing them not having to offer a guarantee, selling dangerous goods is a different matter. Please can you advice.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Even If dealers arent allowed to sell without warranty, Are they allowed to sell dangerous/potentially lethal caravans.

My thoughts are to their future customers not just us.

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

I see the expert has opted out - do you still need help?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Alex, yes please. I do t want the dealer selling other dangerous/lethal products to other people so wondered what we can do if anything.
How old was it and did it come with a warranty please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Alex,

11 years old and no it did not come with a warranty as above, they said legally they don't have to offer one on static caravans, so my question was, can they still sell dangerous goods, ie where carbon monoxide is leaking from the boiler.

When did you buy it and how much did you pay please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

September and £5,000.

How did you pay for the caravan please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By debit card

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By VISA debit card that is

Indeed. Have you had it inspected by Trading Standards at all?

Are you able to respond?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Seem to be skirting round the question suggesting lack of knowledge
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
Hello there, you have the right to expect that the caravan you purchased be of reasonable quality given it's age.

If it was not then you have the right to reject the caravan or ask for a repair under the Sale of Goods and Services Act.

I would suggest you contact your local trading standards to get a reference number as this will help show you are serious and write to the dealer to ask them to come up with a solution to the problem You should say that if they do not within 14 days you will have no alternative but to pursue a claim under the Act in the Court.

Hopefully this will be enough to concentrate the dealers mind.

If you have any further quesitons please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer, thank you and all the best.