12826847

I was sexually assulted by my brother in law who put his hand

Customer Question

I was sexually assulted by my brother in law who put his hand down the back of by jeans and felt my bottom. We were standing at the bar with a crowd of people laughing and joking and then I felt his hand. The assult happened at a large party in Kingston England. I was 54 years old, sober and dressed in jeans and a wooly pollar necked jumper. My husband saw the assult and was ready to confront Billy , my brother in law, but knew that if it got out of hand he would probably spoil the party. We asked Billy for an apology the next day. He said he was drunk and couldnt remember doing anything and didnt feel as if he should apologise. I felt dirty and sick as he had touched an intamite part and my husband felt furious tha he saw the act and was called a liar
I reported the assult to Winchester police- that is where we live. They took staetments from myself and my husband. The case was transferred to the Kingston police. A police offices called Karen delt with the incident from then onwards. Billy has many freinds in the police force in Kingston and I soon felt as if we were being called liars and soon my character was being questioned. I am a teacher and have never reported an assult before. My husband and myself told the truth and were eager for Billy to apologise. The case was thrown out as a lack of evidence. What I can not understand is why we were not believed, my husband as an eye witness and myself as being a victim.

I am afraid I can not accept the fact that Billy has not apologised to me AND I am convinced that he had sexual relationships with his 2 daughters. I would like to fight my corner as myself and my husband went to the police to seek justice rather that my husband thumping Billy on the night when it happened. I have heard through my brother that Billy told police about events that happened to me in the past which have no bearings to the assult. This all happened in January 2012 and my life has changed dramatically because of the assult and fact that we were called liars.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I'm not sure what your question is?

Ultimately the Crown do have to prove things to a very high standard and, from what you say, I'm afraid that the Jury just plain weren't convinced of your allegation. There isn't really a way of making that more pleasant.

I don't know whether you are saying the Jury found him not guilty or it was stopped at half time?

It will be nothing to do with him having friends in the police force. They don't make the decisions now anyway. CPS do.

I'm not sure what else I can say. Ultimately, whenever there is a criminal prosecution, there will be one side that is believed and pleased with the outcome and one that is not. That is the risk that you take unfortunately.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.