How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

HelloI work as a home tutor to a 15 year old autistic boy

Customer Question

I work as a home tutor to a 15 year old autistic boy on weekly paid on going bookings through an agency.I am not paid during school, bank holidays or when the boy is seriously ill which happens quite often.My total weekly payment is£ 565. What average income I should give for the calculation of the housing benefit. I will be working until the end of June, 2013.I am never about the coming week.

Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
Alex Watts : You will need to give them your wage slips normally once a month so that they can work it out. You need to tell them it varies every month. But they would normally ask for monthly slips and it would be adjusted each month.
Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply. Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’. Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
JACUSTOMER-rfq1dhz9- :

Hi ALex

The main thing I wanted to know about my rights to travel and wheher the
coucil has the right to charge the full price for the overpriced , shabby
accomodation.I was evicted even from cheaper one. I live with my 19 year
old son who is a student and this is our only income. I wrote you about my
having to sign and so on...I did not tell you before that I was unlawfully
evicted from thi accommodation and all my belongings seised for 49 days.
But this is a long story.... I just need to know about paying fuul rent
and registering



Alex Watts : I do not quite understand your question?
JACUSTOMER-rfq1dhz9- : My question is How much do homeless people have to pay for Bed and Breakfast council given accommodation?
Alex Watts : If they are on benefit nothing.
Alex Watts : If they get an income then any benefit is reduced as per housing beneit
Alex Watts : benefit regulations.
JACUSTOMER-rfq1dhz9- :

Then a question:

Alex Watts : Ok
JACUSTOMER-rfq1dhz9- :

What does it mean: '... the people with low income are eligible for housing benefit'. How many or how little should I earn a week, month, year, that I would be eligible or nor eligible for support at renting of housing or in my case paying for expensive, shabby B&B, that is rented by Newham Council from private company?

Alex Watts : I don't underatand - the council will be paying a rate for the accommodation and you are either entitled to benefit or partial benefit, isn't that the case?
JACUSTOMER-rfq1dhz9- :

Newham council simply stops paying housing benefit and requires that I pay full amount for B&B-accommodation because I started to work and have some income enough to pay weekly rent of &252. They don't care, that the income average is only approx £400 and the rest of it remains only £150 for me and my son-student to pay for gas electricity and our sustenance. Councils officers do state obstinate that I will be not eligible for housings benefit even if I earn £300 a week and pay full amount for B&B.

Alex Watts : Have you seen anyone from Citizens Advice regarding whether you are entitled to any benefit?
JACUSTOMER-rfq1dhz9- :

Not yet.

Alex Watts : I would do that. They would be able to assess your benefits and see if you are on the correct ones or entitled to more.
Alex Watts : You can also go here
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything?