13262538

Ive lived in my husbands house for over 20 years. He says

Customer Question

I've lived in my husband's house for over 20 years. He says that he is entitled to the house and everything else. I have not made any financial contribution at all. Although I am company secretary of my husband's company which I receive £671.52 a month. My husband does not want to spend money on solicitors. I have no idea about the cost of living for myself - renting a property, council tax, water and fuel bills, tv licence and motor expenses, pensions.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income does he have?
PS he is wrong
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The house is worth about £200,00 with no mortgage. No idea about assets , there are shares and pensions etc but I have no idea about these. My husband is a very clever accountant!
How much does a one bedroom property in the general area cost?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
£700 a month
Sorry I meant to buy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do not have any money of my own, my husband has worked all his life,
No hope of buying a home for myself. My husband had offered hundred thousand pounds if I move out!
Set that aside for a moment - how much does a one bedroom property cost to buy locally
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No idea there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No idea, if I have to leave my home would consider renting
The local paper or Right Move may be able to assist - this is important to how much you get
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help
In order to actually help you I do need further details.
I can tell you that your husband is wrong - the length of your relationship means that the starting point for division of ALL the assets - including the company is 50/50 - and you may also be entitled to receive spouse maintenance
The priority for the court will be your housing - so it is VERY likely that if there is a dispute they will ensure that you get enough to BUY yourself a small property
You have a great deal of financial protection that you can get from the courts - and you could suggest to your husband that you try and resolve the matter using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk)
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details