12826847

I was knocked over in a privately owned car park by a woman

Customer Question

I was knocked over in a privately owned car park by a woman who reversed without looking I suffered minor bruising and whiplash injury. The road markings on the car park indicate it is meant to be used as a one way system, many people abuse this system. The driver reversed toward the entrance/exit in order to go against the flow to get to a parking space to the right before cars in front of her, going the correct way, got to it first. The driver admitted that she had just reversed without looking in her rear view mirror. Two police officers arrived shortly after the ambulance and presumably spoke to the woman driver because a slip of paper with her details was handed to the ambulance paramedic to hand to me. At no time did the police ask to speak to me. I spent most of the day in A & E having x-rays and examinations as I have MS and also three (3) crushed disks already at the base of my spine. I was told a few years ago, after a elderly lady scratched my car reversing out of a space next to my car, that the law was changed in the 1980s to state that "If a 'car park' is open to the public twenty four (24) hours a day, ie no gates, chains, barriers, etc, then any collision with either another vehicle or pedestrian then it does fall under the Road Traffic Act and the police must act accordingly. Is this not the case? Julia XXXXXX.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

When did this happen please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo C,

The accident happened on Friday the 1st of November around 12:05.

Have the police invited you in for interview please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo C,

No. The police have not contacted me at all either on the day or since, other than the note they handed to one of the Paramedics to hand to me. It does have an incident number but that is the only reference.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo C,

No. I have not been contacted by the police at all.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo C,

No.

Sorry for the delay.

Sorry if I'm missing the point but why do you want to contact them if they haven't contacted you?