Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Hi, Im trying to find a brand name, something with a previous

Customer Question

I'm trying to find a brand name, something with a previous history but also something which I can pick up free or cheaply. So I'm looking for something that is no longer used and the trademark if there is one has expired.

Is there a register or list somewhere I can refer to or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Jim
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question my name is AJ and I will assist you.

I am afraid there is no specific list however that does not mean there is not a way of finding this information out. You will see the famous soap manufacturer was born from someone purchasing a small hairdressers in South Molton street by the name of Browns.

The best place to look is the following places:
1. Contact the Official Receiver - ask if they have a list of businesses that have recently gone into liquidation or administration. You can also find this out by looking at the daily list in the Insolvency Court (Companies Court).
2. Go to the Intellectual Property Office www.ipo.gov.uk/‎ - Have a look on the trademark registry for any trade marks that are due to expire shortly;
3. Go to busy shopping areas and look for independent shops that are either closing down or perhaps struggling for business.

All these ideas should generate some goodwill that you could either purchase at a discount or at least follow up. Often companies in administration will have an administrator who will seek to sell the company assets (goodwill included) at a discount, this is probably the best way to start. If you get in touch with any insolvency practitioner as well, they may be able to alert you to any potential insolvency sales.

Can I assist any further.

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi AJ,

Thanks, I was hoping for a company / brand which had a history maybe 100 years ago and expired 30 / 40 years ago rather than one which has gone into Administration in the last few weeks. Also one possibly from France or Italy, maybe Spain or Swizterland.

Any thoughts or pointers for this?

Jim

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

All those Countries have company registries. Search the registries would be the best place to start. You can search by way of dissolved companies.

The same will be true on the European Trade Mark Office http://oami.europa.eu/ows/rw/pages/index.en.do

Do you want the brand for a specific purpose?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks,

I have a couple of purposes, a luxury fashion brand and a jewellery / watch brand hence the countries I have asked for.

I'll check the sites you mentioned.

Jim

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

I would suggest checking the national archives and British Library as they maintain a long list Trade Mark and Patents and Designs.

Also if you are looking for Jewellery or Fashion, the best thing is to go to shopping streets in the countries concerned. The best example I can think of is Hatton Garden, if you walk down Hatton Garden you will always spot the odd sign of a defunct Jeweller that has not worked there for many years.

AJ