29905560

Am I required to tell my current employer my new employers

Customer Question

Am I required to tell my current employer my new employers details, especially if my current employer is a large corporate and referencing is done centrally. I work with some malicious people in my team and wouldn't want them to rock the boat with my new role

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know what it is you are concerned may happen if you provide these details

JACUSTOMER-c3idti36- :

Ben Jones :

There is no legal obligation on you to provide details of your new employer to your current one or to specific people within the business. However, if you are requesting a reference from your employer this information may be forwarded on to them. For example, if the new employer writes to the current one with a reference request, even if this is done centrally, HR can forward the request on to the relevant manager who has worked with you for their input. That may then reveal details of your new employer. However, if all they issue is a short factual reference containing only your dates of employment and job title, then this is not really a risk as there would be no need to contact a manager for a more personal reference.

Ben Jones :

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you are unhappy for some reason with the advice - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you very much