Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have just bought a car (a private deal) but it was all conducted

Customer Question

I have just bought a car (a private deal) but it was all conducted on a motorvillage forecourt and it turns out that there was water leaking into the ECU and it will cost me a £1K to replace the ECU having already spent £360 and £250 do I have any recourse against the seller/motorvillage?
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.

taratill :

Hello my name is Jenny and I am happy to help you today. Do you have reason to suspect that whilst you were told this was a private sale it was in fact a dealer who sold you the vehicle?

JACUSTOMER-xlcj34r1- :

It did state that it was a private sale, but the receipt was all printed on motorvillage paper and we were taken into the office there

taratill :

Ok thanks, this sounds as though it is in fact a dealer sale and the dealer is trying to make out that it is a private sale to avoid certain legal obligations.

taratill :

The first thing that I would do is contact Trading Standards as they may be aware that this practice is going on and they will , in any event, provide you with a reference number that you can use in correspondence.

JACUSTOMER-xlcj34r1- :

He denies knowing that the car was not roadworthy, but the garages are stating that there was no way they could have driven it like that without knowing

taratill :

You have the right to expect that a car that you are sold via a dealer is fit for its purpose and is of satisfactory quality given the age of the vehicle.

JACUSTOMER-xlcj34r1- :

do we have any kind of case, they are trying to say that we don't because it was a private sale.?

JACUSTOMER-xlcj34r1- :

sorry just read the end of your comment

taratill :

In order to reject the car you normally must do so promptly within 3-4 weeks of purchase, if this time frame has passed you may have some difficulty although you may be able to sue them for the cost of repairs.

taratill :

I would suggest you contact trading standards first as I have suggested and then potentially put a claim in under the Sale of Goods Act against the dealer for the losses you have suffered to repair the vehicle.

JACUSTOMER-xlcj34r1- :

ahh, ok thank you

taratill :

No problem, if you need any more information please do let me know and all the best with it!!