Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I'm trying to complete a visa application to work in

Customer Question

I'm trying to complete a visa application to work in Singapore, I don't have my pass certificates for the school i attended as they were taken back in 1980, and the WJEC do not have records for the school i attended for the years i was there.
The school was demolished and turned into a housing estate, not long after i left, and so i now have the problem of trying to prove i attended full time education to enable me to start the visa process.
I made the point to my prospective employer in Singapore that attending full time education is the law in the UK, ands they suggested that if i can get written evidence of this, then that would be helpful. I've contacted several council bodies, and then also the Dept Of Education, but none of the Education Acts state this, it's just pages of amendments.
Any ideas ?
Time is now running out for me, i've already spent weeks trying to get my O Level results certificates .
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can try to help you today. Do you know which exam board you took the Olevels with?

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

No

taratill :

Is it O level certificates that you need?

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

I feel if the HR department in the company in Singapore are happy with written confirmation that as a UK citizen I had to have attended full time education then this is a much quicker route to get my

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

oops, sorry

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

yes it was O levels, but as i started typing , this may takes months, not weeks , 28 days to reply, so i'd rather explore establishing that it's law in the IK to attend full time education

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

to get the certificates

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

department of education, have sid they may be able to help, but have asked for a written request, that they will answer in 15 days

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

as it's such a basic request, i'm amazed that there isn't a simpler way

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

hi, am i making sense, are you still there ?

taratill :

sorry for the slight delay. Do they need the information very urgently then?

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

sorry, wasn't sure how this worked yes, i've been working on this for about 3 weeks, and my potential employer is wanting to start the application, as i'm meant to start work in January.....as it dates back to 1980 the WJEC have stated that if they don't have the results, there is a chance that no one does, which is why i suggested going down the route of establishing it's law to attend full time education

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

my work experience is 100% relavent to my job application, of which i have more than 20 years of documented evidence and letters of recommendation, so exam results from 34 years ago are not critical, but i must have some written evidence to back up what i am saying

taratill :

The WJEC is not the only UK exam board. OfQual is the government body responsible for overseeing examination bodies in the UK. They have a list of all the exam bodies past and present and the contact numbers. It may be as simple as phoning each of them till you find the appropriate one.

taratill :

If this does not assist you then OFqual itself may be able to help you with the best way of evidencing that you must have taken exams as you were in the UK at the relevant time and education is manatory from a legal point of view.

taratill :

Good luck.

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

i know, and it takes them 28 days to ackknowledge your request, let alone send cirtificates

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

useless, what a waste of my time

taratill :

I think the problem you will have is doing this quicker I'm afraid.

taratill :

What further would you like to know I note you have given a poor rating. I am sorry if it was not the answer you wanted.

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

this exchange has not helped in any way, i don't think you read my original question.......feels like a waste of my time

taratill :

I did read your question, you asked for ideas? Do you have anything specific in mind?

JACUSTOMER-k8ghyvbi- :

my question related to the act of parliment that was in force when i attended school which would then establish that as a UK citizen i would have been legally obliged to attend, you asked if i was after O level cirtificates, when i'd already explained this in the question......don;t mean to be rude, but have spent most of today hitting brick walls, and this feels like another one, so over and out ...thanks

taratill :

So how would this act of parliament help you? Are you looking for the provision that helps you? I am sorry but your quesiton was not clear if that was what you wanted. Please confirm if it is and I will be able to continue.