How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6307
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I am being trolled by an ex family member on a social networking

Customer Question

I am being trolled by an ex family member on a social networking site, she is discussing a lot of my business with other members and stating how she thinks she has had me sacked from my job and how she is reporting me to the university that I study at and is putting in complaints about me etc, even though I have nothing to do with this woman and haven't spoken to her for 6 years, she is forever trying to find out stuff about me and my life and when she can't find things out, she just assumes things and tells lies about me. The problem I have is that she has not actually named me on this site, even though she does tell people where I am living and how old I am. I know she is talking about me though as the connection of what she is saying is very obvious. Is there anything I can do about this woman because she has not actually named me yet ... I say yet as she is clearly making out that it is her intention to name me as soon as she feels that she can ... I am not sure what exactly is holding her back at the moment, but she feels like she has some sort of power over me.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.

taratill : Hello my name is Jenny and I am happy to help
taratill : Are you likely to suffer any financial loss as a result of her actions?
JACUSTOMER-tztng2ks- : Well if she continues to try and tell any future employers things about that she thinks will get me into trouble, then yes. She already thinks she has lost me one job, and I know she has tried to get other family members into trouble at their places of work too.
taratill :

Other than continuing to pursue this with the police the other option you have potentially is in defamation of character. If you are identifiable in the posts and the posts are untrue and have the effect of making right minded people hate or ridicule you then you may be able to claim in defamation of character if you suffer a financial loss as a direct result of the defamatory remarks. This means that if you lose your job as a result of this you may be able to sue for the money you lose as a result.

taratill :

You cannot claim for anticipatory damages only for actual losses and it does cost a lot of money to make a claim (tens of thousands of pounds) so at this stage it is not worth claiming.

taratill :

There is no harm however in writing to her to say that you consider her actions to be in defamation of character and if she a) does not remove the offensive posts and b) continues to make them and you suffer a loss you will have no option but to sue her.

taratill :

You could see a local solicitor who can write a letter on headed paper, they may ask her to sign an undertaking to say she will remove comments and refrain from making them. The effect of a breach of undertaking amounts to a contempt of court. Obviously you will have fees associated with this so it really is up to you at this stage whether you want to go down this route but it is certainly an option for you.

taratill :

If you have any further questions about it please do ask. Otherwise all the best and I hope you can put a stop to it.

taratill :

Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this?

Related Law Questions