How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question

Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

Found out last year that an appeal/JR was not submitted on

Customer Question

Found out last year that an appeal/JR was not submitted on my behalf in 2009 as my solicitor's firm was closed by the Legal society. The Legal Society did not get in touch about the closure and I was of the opinion that it was the Court that was causing delay. I did hope in good faith that last year having attained 10 years continuous residency I would have been able to apply for indefinite leave. What would you suggest I do now.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Margaret welcome to just answer. I will be happy to assist but can you explain your circumstances a little more please. Was this an immigration application ? What exactly happened please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was on a student visa and was refused extension around Jan 2009. Followed the AIT process, refused but given right to appeal, that was also refused but was told would need to appeal to the Court. I had to engage a barrister to take this, however instructions couldn't be taken from me. Eventually found a solicitor who would give the barrister the instructions. I paid money required at the time for this and was assured that all submissions were being followed and in time. This was about May 2009. About September 2009 a friend who is a legal person found out that my solicitor's firm was closed by the legal services. I wrote to the legal services to ask what is the implication for us as clients to which I didn't get any advice. As I thought however that my papers should have been going through the Court system long before then I continued to wait to receive a call for me to attend Court or otherwise. With time having passed and like I said I have attained the 10 years last year I again pursued the legal services for my file. Only when I received the files I realised that the submission to the Court was not complete as requests for documents etc to be sent back to Court came after the firm was closed. My mother has been here since 1958 and so we have become very close in our relationship for the most part since my first visit here in 1998. The hurtful thing about this saga is that when I was born in 1957 I was British Subject but due to Jamaican independence in 1962 I have lost that status.

I sincerely hope that there is some light through this very dark tunnel that I find myself in at this age!


Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Yes well you are in a mess. If you have know since 2009 that the firm was closed then you are not gong to get much sympathy from the court for join nothing for four years I a afraid. the fact is that if your appeal had been turned down you should have left and if you intention was a judicial review but it was never submitted then you have been here illegally ever since. You may have some mitigation but that is all. You were not entitled to assume that the court was dealing with an application for judicial review not unless you had been told that.

Your best course would be to file an new application asking of discretionary leave on human rights grounds.

It is far too late to appeal the original decision I am afraid.

Sorry.I can see why you do not find it easy to get someone to take your case but you need i think to find a solicitor to help if you are going to stand any chance of success.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice