75100385

I want to use a CHAPTER IN A BOOK PUBLISHED IN Canada 1991

Customer Question

I want to use a CHAPTER IN A BOOK PUBLISHED IN Canada 1991 for a creative workshop within a religious community can I do this?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have you sought permission please?

JACUSTOMER-90cazus2- :

I sent an email to the publishers who acknowledged receipt and said they would come back to me. The workshop is this weekend so I don't have much time

Alex Watts :

Is it going to be commercially published?

JACUSTOMER-90cazus2- :

No, it's just being copied for the attendees to read before the workshop begins.

Alex Watts :

Although technically you need permission if it not used for commercial purposes I would not worry about it.

Alex Watts :

This is because the author would have to find out - if they are in Canada, this is not being used commercially and for a small number of people then they are not.

Alex Watts :

Of course what you should do is seek permission to use it first and allow yourself time.

Alex Watts :

But if time is indeed short then although you should ask permission in reality they will probably never find out.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/