I worked for a small company and had an email stating share

Customer Question

I worked for a small company and had an email stating share holding percentages, however I never had a share certificate issued can I claim any dividends for the period I worked their?

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Were you ever formally promised shares in the company? Was there any indication before this email that you would be entitled to shares?
JACUSTOMER-g3b0f5bw- : No only if I supplied the £25k of stock disscussed with the directors
Ben Jones :

ok so you never actually held the shares and you never supplied the stock required by the company?

Customer : Correct I just have an email stating share prices for the month of February, it states the share price on the email and I got paid that amount that month, however because I did not come up with my funding the following month I got no shares.
Customer : what I want to know is can I claim the shares every month as I have an email stating that I had shares in February?
Ben Jones :

Just because there was an email stating this foes not give you an automatic entitlement to claim money for it. For example, if I sent you an email in error saying I owe you £1000 it does not mean I am now legally bound to give you that money. You can only claim it if you meet the conditions which would have made you entitled to that money or shares. If you sis not meet these conditions, for example providing funding, purchasing shares by a specified date, etc then you cannot expect any dividend payments as a result - only by meeting the specific conditions for payment can you expect to receive anything in return

Customer : Ok thankyou I'm only asking because of the case of golden ocean v mining company were it was deemed an email was enough for a contract to be formed?
Customer : is this the case in shares or just purchase contracts etc
Ben Jones :

a contract can be legally formed without anything in writing, but you need to show there was an offer by one party, an acceptance by the other and some sort of consideration.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your query or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?