12826847

Letting agency withdrawal fee?

Customer Question

I am in Scotland firstly and  am a landlord and have let out my property through a friend's agency. The original company was merged into a bigger estate agency chain. I have not signed any new contract with this new chain company. However, we have had nothing but problems since and I have told them that I wish to withdraw from the market. They are trying to charge a 'withdrawal' fee of several hundred pounds and insist that the original contract signed is still legally binding. I am loathe to pay this as the overall service has been terrible any legal impediments/advice?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is AJ and I will assist you.

Is the letting agent based in Scotland as well?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The letting agent is based in Scotland too. They are also part of the code of practice in line with the property ombudsman in Scotland.

Kind Regards

LCT