75100385

Am in dispute with a Dry Cleaner with whom I entrusted a chair

Customer Question

Am in dispute with a Dry Cleaner with whom I entrusted a chair cover to be drycleaned as advised by manufacturer ( Multiyork). When returned had shrunk and contained staining , including possible high temp burning. This is an independent cleaner. This has been going on Since 10/07/13. I am currently no further forward in resolving this dispute, as the owner continues to resist access to insurer and uses lame excuses for inaction. Can you help with my options. The particular fabric is no longer in use and a replacement set of covers is over £2300.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry to hear of this. If you have a cost for replacement you should write and ask that they refund you within 14 days or say that you will issue proceedings and go to Court. You should send the letter recorded delivery and keep a copy. If they then refuse you can issue proceedings in the County Court.

Alex Watts :

You can do this either online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court. The Court would then issue the claim and a copy will be sent to the dry cleaners. They will have a limited time to defend it, if not then you can enter Judgment.

Alex Watts :

If it is defended then the matter will be set down for a hearing. Given the value it would be a small claim and you would not need representation.

Alex Watts :

But once the claim is issued then the store will either deal with it themselves or pass it to the insurers.

Alex Watts :